Ltd166s: master or slave?

Greetings to all freaks out there!
I 've just bought a Lite-On (or JLMS if you prefer) ltd166s DVD and I was wondering if I should connect it as a master or slave to my Lite-On CD R/W 40125W in the secondary IDE channel. I have Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro, but I am planning to use it mainly under Windows 98SE. I also have Intel Application Accelerator 2.2.2150 installed. Any suggestions?
Some more questions:

1. Can I use mtkflash 1.48 to backup the original firmware of my ltd166s DVD?
  2. Is it worth upgrading to DS0F firmware? I 've seen posts where users claim that rpcde doesn 't work with this firmware.
  3. When upgrading, should I disable DMA?

Thanks.

The best is to set those on separate IDE channels - like PS & SM

The questions are now very well covered in The Big Lite-On FAQ and overclocking thread

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do PS and SM mean?
Also, I cannot put them on seperate channels, since on tne primary IDE channel I have a UltraATA 100 hard disk.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do PS and SM mean?

ps= primary slave
sm= secondary master:o

I cannot put them on seperate channels, since on tne primary IDE channel I have a UltraATA 100 hard disk

There’s no reason not to mix the DVD drive and HD on the same channel, but there’s also probably no reason why you should. Try all possible configurations and use what works. Nobody here knows how your system will respond. Most current systems are perfectly happy in any configuration. It also depends on how you intend to use the drives, if you wish to use them for 2 different applications at the same time, separate channels is best. If you only need to do an occasional CD copy, same channel may work fine. LiteOn recommends putting the RW as master, i don’t think it really matters.

Silly me!
Anyway, if I connect, say, the CD R/W as a PS to my Ultra ATA100 hard disk on the first IDE channel, won 't that affect my hard disk 's speed?

affect my hard disk 's speed?

not unless your system is fairly old. But the best answer is to try it, it won’t break anything to try.

Sometimes it will…
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

FYI, I have 2 UDMA-5 HD’s here happily sharing IDE channels with UDMA-2 CDRW drives. This is on a KT-133 chipset board, which is considered by some folks here to be a crappy MB. I have no trouble reaching max speeds on all the drives. However, for 99% of the required tasks, they work equally well when confined to separate IDE channels.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

This is on a KT-133 chipset board, which is considered by some folks here to be a crappy MB

I’m not the one who can share their opinion on this MoBo. I guess we’re talking about ASUS A7V133,
which was not so long ago choosen by the Swedish PC experts as the best choice / product.
So, all is relatively.

Originally posted by kpapa
[B]Greetings to all freaks out there!
I 've just bought a Lite-On (or JLMS if you prefer) ltd166s DVD and I was wondering if I should connect it as a master or slave to my Lite-On CD R/W 40125W in the secondary IDE channel. I have Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro, but I am planning to use it mainly under Windows 98SE. I also have Intel Application Accelerator 2.2.2150 installed. Any suggestions?
Some more questions:

1. Can I use mtkflash 1.48 to backup the original firmware of my ltd166s DVD?
  2. Is it worth upgrading to DS0F firmware? I 've seen posts where users claim that rpcde doesn 't work with this firmware.
  3. When upgrading, should I disable DMA?

Thanks. [/B]

You can update the drive’s firmware to the DS0F version. Its quite good and the RPCDE tool works, but sometimes you need to try several times. Never disable the DMA of the DVD-ROM drive, unless you have any compatibility issue.

And you may plug it as Secondary Master and your CD-RW drive as Secondary Slave.

Originally posted by vio_man

And you may plug it as Secondary Master and your CD-RW drive as Secondary Slave.

This might be not quite a good solution if you’re doing on-the-fly recording

Putting the CDRW ( IMHO as SM ) and your HD on separate IDE controllers may be helpful

Thank you all for your advice!
I have put my DVD as SM, CD-R/W as SS, I upgraded to DSOF and rpcde 'd my DVD with success.