I have a problem that seems to be fairly common to LTD163 owners in that my DVD-Rom will not recognise anything other than audio CDs. It will not recognise any factory pressed nonaudio CD or DVD, nor will it recognise a CD-R. Its been this way ever since I installed it new 2 years ago. There have been a very few occasions over these 2 years where it would read a CD and DVD but only briefly until the next boot.
The DVD player is recognised in Windows explorer. However when a CD or DVD is inserted, the drive spins up and then does nothing. If I try to access the media in Explorer, it doesn’t recognise it and gives me the message “please insert a disk”.
Both the factory pressed CD and the CD-R are recognised just fine in my Plextor 1210TA CDRW, as is the factory pressed DVD on our standalone DVD player. I have tried this with numerous different CD and DVD media, all with the same effect.
I have pretty much exhausted most of the solutions that I have seen posted. This is what I have tried so far but with no luck;
- I have changed IDE cable (both primary and secondary)
- Put the LTD163 as the only device on the secondary IDE as master and then as slave.
- Put the LTD163 as the only device on the primary IDE as master and then as slave. (my hard drives are on seperate Raid controllers)
- Ran both the CDRW and LTD163 on the secondary IDE, once as maser slave then as slave master. (yes I verified the jumper settings)
- Same as 4. on the master IDE.
- Cleaned the lens
- Updated LTD163 to the latest firmware (GH5S); all other drivers, firmware and BIOS are uptodate as well.
None of the above worked and I could not find any other potential solutions on the web except for here .
I did a search on udf and found several udf related files. I dont have any drag & drop software installed (InCD, Direct CD ??), but I do have both Nero 5.5 and Adaptec EZ CD creator installed. I have uninstalled both these programs but I am still having the same problem. However another search turned up two remaining udf files that appear tom be microsoft drivers.
Does anybody have more detail on the compatabilit problem referenced in the above thread between the ltd163 and UDF? I can’t seem to find any other information about it on the web. I think I would like to know before I go about uninstalling any other drivers.
Athalon K7 1.2 GHz
Windows XP Pro SP1
Plextor 1210TA CDRW 1.10