LTD-166S audio and firmware questions

vbimport

I have a new Dell 4550 computer. It came with an LG CD/RW installed. I bought an LTD-166S DVD and opened the Dell case to install it. At that point, I discovered that there was no audio cable from the CD/RW to the connector on the MB. (This model has integrated audio.) I was advised in the Dell Forum that the CD/RW is outputting digital audio, rather than analog, and it utilizes the IDE cable for that purpose.

My question now is whether or not the LTD-166S can/will output digital audio as well? The instruction manual that came with the DVD is sketchy at best–it even had the center 6 pages bound upside down! I do have an audio cable that I can use if this model is not capable of digital audio.

Dell used cable select jumpering, and I will do the same with the DVD drive. The CD/RW will be detected as “Master” and the DVD will be detected as “Slave.” Therefore, the two drives will be sharing the same IDE cable. Dell Tech Support has assured me that this will present no problems so far as burning CD’s is concerned, because “we are using ATA/100.” I don’t know enough about technology to believe or disbelieve his statement, but I have some reservations about audio conflicts.

My question about firmware concerns the Nero Info Tool. It is my understanding that this software will identify CD and DVD drives current firmware version. I followed the link provided in another post, but that particular utility was not offered for download. I downloaded the latest demo version of Nero, and it includes CD Speed, but not Nero Info Tool. Any suggestions?

Any light you can shed on my concerns will be appreciated, and I always welcome suggestions about a better way to build a mousetrap! :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

Scarlett

Hi,

My question now is whether or not the LTD-166S can/will output digital audio as well?

yes it can

My question about firmware concerns the Nero Info Tool. It is my understanding that this software will identify CD and DVD drives current firmware version. I followed the link provided in another post, but that particular utility was not offered for download. I downloaded the latest demo version of Nero, and it includes CD Speed, but not Nero Info Tool. Any suggestions? .

the cd speed tool shows your firmware info too… check out your drive in the drop down menu. As far as not having the info tool, check your Nero Toolkit folder for a file called InfoTool.exe"

Thanks for the information re audio!

You are also correct about Nero Info Tool–it is there, and I have used it on the computer where the download is resident. Works great, and I will probably pay the $49 for a serial number. From what I have read in this forum, Nero works better with the Lite-On CD/RW’s than does Roxio’s CD Creator.

Thanks again for the clarification and info!

Scarlett

Nero Info tool and the rest of Erik Deppe’s wonderful tools are free to use whether you have Nero or not, You can download them directly at:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

Another great little free tool is DISCInfo:
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/discinfo

Thanks, Mango! This is wonderful information to have. I’m not sure what each of these programs is designed to do, but I am learning, slowly but surely. :slight_smile:

This forum is a great resource, and I am grateful to have found it. The generosity of the members is amazing!

Thanks again,

Scarlett