LTD-165h: what is "UDMA 49"?

I just upgraded the firmware of my Liteon LTD-165H DVD drive after experiencing some problems (see thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56432 ).

The upgrade process was quite successful. However, my BIOS now detects the Liteon drive in “UDMA 49” mode during the boot process. Before upgrading the firmware, it was detected as “UDMA 33”. Does anyone know what “UDMA 49” means?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

UDMA 49 doesn’t exist.

I guess you’re right, Airhead. I’ve never heard of UDMA 49 myself, but there it is, my BIOS detects my Liteon as “CDROM, UDMA 49” (My hard disk is detected as UDMA 33, while my LG cd burner is detected as PIO Mode 4). Do you think this is a cause for concern?

Here’s another email I received from Liteon’s tech support:

“Dear Sir,
It’s may display error, we will check it and the made should be " DMA33”, no worry with this.

Thank you for your inform

Yours sincerely

===================================================
Customer Service Dept.
Lite-On IT Corp.
Email : AP_Service@liteonit.com
Tel : 886-3-578-7722
Fax : 886-3-579-7673
Add : 5F, No.12, Li-Shin Rd., Science Based Industrial Park,
Hsin-Chu, Taiwan, R.O.C. Consignee : Customer Service Dept."

I can’t figure out what they mean by “display error”, though.

The Lite-on LTD-165H connects in the very unusual UDMA 3 mode (44.4 MB/sec.), which could be reported as UDMA 44.

This is such an usual mode that maybe your BIOS has never encountered this connection before, and there is a bug in the reporting. Don’t worry about it, this drive connects at UDMA 44, which is what you BIOS is trying to report.

Maybe if you look closely at it again, what you are taking for the trailing “9” is really a “4”. :wink:

I am not sure about this but based on Lite-On’s website, this drive supports only up to UDMA 33. How can the drive operate at a higher speed ?

Originally posted by liteonmania
I am not sure about this but based on Lite-On’s website, this drive supports only up to UDMA 33. How can the drive operate at a higher speed ?

According to the JLMS/Lite-on website at 16X MAX DVD-ROM DRIVE XJ-HD165H / 166S, the connect speed for these drives is UDMA 3 (44.4 MB/sec.). Look it up and see for yourself. :wink: