LTD 165H DVD-ROM and CD-R identification/info

This may be a well-kown problem; if so, I apologize for bringing it up.

I’m finding that the 165h (ch0q f/w) doesn’t handle blank CDRs at all well. First, it tries to read them for a pretty long time and then seems to decide that there’s no disk there. So both CDRidentifier 1.63 and the CD-R Info dialog in CDSpeed don’t work at all. Also Windows Explorer sees the drive as empty.

I wonder if this is normal behaviour for this drive, and whether there’s some fix.

Originally posted by justsatorn
I’m finding that the 165h (ch0q f/w) doesn’t handle blank CDRs at all well. First, it tries to read them for a pretty long time and then seems to decide that there’s no disk there.

That’s because there isn’t, there’s nothing on the disc and a DVD-ROM is not a writer, it want’s to find something on the disc :slight_smile:

[b]
So both CDRidentifier 1.63 and the CD-R Info dialog in CDSpeed don’t work at all. Also Windows Explorer sees the drive as empty.

[/b]
That’s because this DVD can’t read ATIP (very few can thank God), and the reason Windows Explorer can’t see anything on the disc is the same as my first answer, there’s really nothing there :slight_smile:

I wonder if this is normal behaviour for this drive, and whether there’s some fix.

Everythings fine.

This is well known, but not a problem. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives are not designed for reading blank CDR’s. These blanks can be read only from CDR-RW burners, which are designed to read the disc ATIP (Absolute Time in Pre-groove).

See What is ATIP and how does it work as copy protection ?

Thanks for the clarification. Thought it was probably a stupid question.
This is what comes from not thinking things through (esp. at 4.30am). I’m so used to my old CD-ROM (which did read the ATIP from blank CDRs) that the differences of the DVD-ROM I recently replaced it with haven’t properly imprinted on my mind yet (except for playing DVD movies, of course).