Ltd-163D Region Free?

vbimport

Sorry if my questions are redundant.
I recently performed the R1211 2 OFF on my (primary slave)LTD-163D (GHR3), but I can't quite interpret whether if it was sucessful or not, using 3 different diagnostic programs.

Nero Infotool v1.01
Region Control: RPC II
Region Code: 2
Changes left User: 0
vendor: 6

Drive Info v2.1
"This drive has no region protection"

CDvdINfo v1.3.5
Firmware Revision: GHR3
Vendor specific: (blank)
Drive region locked: (blank)
CDR-read speed: 48

my Device Manager\Properties\DvD Region shows
Changes remaining: 1
Current Region: Region 1 (I'm in the US)

Can any one tell me whether or not the R1211 procedure was successful or not given the above infos? Should I try switching the F/W to GH5N even though mine is 163D, seems someone on the forum got it working using that? Any suggestion/ advice is greatly appreciated.

Looking at drive info it seems to have worked.

Weshy.

Thanks for the quick reply, it would seem Drive Info’s result appears more definitive. It was just too contradicting for me. I read somewhere that I’d also need to trick Windows and the PowerDVD XP 4.0( which I use) into recognizing the drive as region-free by either using DvD Genie or RegionKiller, in addition to the R1211 procedure? Is this true?

Thank you again for any and every input…:smiley:

Referring to initial post,

Quick note, I just did a hardware RPC check in Dvd Genie and it confirmed that the ltd-163d is now indeed region-free (rpc-1) and with unlimited changes.

Cleared up that confusion…

Originally posted by qmv
[B]Thanks for the quick reply, it would seem Drive Info’s result appears more definitive. It was just too contradicting for me. I read somewhere that I’d also need to trick Windows and the PowerDVD XP 4.0( which I use) into recognizing the drive as region-free by either using DvD Genie or RegionKiller, in addition to the R1211 procedure? Is this true?

Thank you again for any and every input…:smiley: [/B]

I’m not exactly sure how it’ll work with this drive, but with my Pioneer DVD (also region free), I need DVD Genie to be the default DVD reader. It will check the disc for region, set the region, open up Powerdvd and then minimise and close itself (depending on your setting). With region locked drives you can only do this 5 times max without needing to do something else. With a region free drive you can change regions till the cows come home.:slight_smile:

Weshy.

I did this last night to my LTD-163D, and found that the information I got from Nero InfoTool was wrong too. In fact I’ve just added details to my thread “LTD-163 and Nero Infotool”

I use the excellent DVD Region Killer from Elaborate Bytes. A whole 139K download which when enabled will confuse PowerDVD XP into thinking that there is nothing wrong and it should play the disk reardless. This works without changing the number of user/vendor changes.

I don’t pretend to understand how it works, it just does. I read the help file and that didn’t help my understand, but hey who cares!

Being from the UK I can play my region 1 DVDs without problem.