LTD-163D keeps reverting back to PIO mode

vbimport

#1

Hi, I’ve got WinXP with a Lite-On 522452S set as master on the second IDE channel and the above DVD-rom set as slave. (I’ve got 2 hard drives on IDE chan 1). After uninstalling the secondary IDE channel controller and rebooting, the drive was detected as supporting UDMA. However, after several high speed audio extractions, it reverted back to PIO mode and changing it back to DMA via the control panel had no effect (even after another reboot). Does anyone know how to make this permanent? Do I need to change a registry setting or also uninstall/reinstall the primary IDE channel controller as well?


#2

did u try uninstalling the second ide channel again? or has this cycle of reverting back to pio occurred only once?


#3

What mainboard is in your system? Nowadays, installing drivers for your chipset is something that’s quite normal, even if you are using an Intel chipset (normally, only for optimal performance, but these drivers can solve problems you are having).

Did you install chipset drivers? Did you try to uprade your chipset drivers?

Are there perhaps any other devices on the IDE channel, running in PIO mode?


#4

I kept having the same problem, Win XP + 163D = PIO mode. No solution in these forums worked. Flashing different firmwares made no difference, uninstalling IDE channels resulted in UDMA mode then it went back to PIO mode, MoBo BIOS was the latest anyway, changing IDE cables didn’t work either, moving to a different IDE channel or Master/Slave setup didn’t work, installing VIA drivers didn’t help, installing XP SP1 was no go either!

In the end I took the drive out and threw the b*stard thing against the wall, now I don’t have this annoying problem anymore or a stupid 163D!!

Instead, I used the now vacant 5 1/4" bay to house a nice 120gb Barracuda drive :slight_smile:


#5

Thats also a way to solve a problem… :slight_smile:


#6

There are times when I wonder if some people are just not meant to own computers. I mean you must’ve accumulated a shit load of bad karma to have computer components not work on you no matter what you do, yet they work flawlessly if installed on other people’s computer…:Z


#7

Thanks for the help, fellas.

did u try uninstalling the second ide channel again? or has this cycle of reverting back to pio occurred only once?

I only tried it once, but I’ll check to see if it’s a recurring cycle (redundant? I think so ;)).

What mainboard is in your system?

ECS K7S5A (a potential problem in and of itself, I know ;))

Did you install chipset drivers? Did you try to uprade your chipset drivers?

Not that I recall, but I’ll do some digging. I do have a SiS PCI IDE controlled installed, according to device manager (listed below the primary and secondary controllers) It’s a MS driver from July, 2001…perhaps it’s time to search for an update.

Are there perhaps any other devices on the IDE channel, running in PIO mode?

The only other device is the said Lite-On burner on the master chan and it’s still set in DMA mode.

In the end I took the drive out and threw the b*stard thing against the wall, now I don’t have this annoying problem anymore or a stupid 163D!!

Thanks for the tip, but I think I’d rather keep this one since I get perfect performance from it otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue:


#8

I had this as well. It is a ‘feature’ of WinXP that if there are repeated read errors for a CD it automatically sets the mode to PIO even if DMA is possible. As stated the only way to reset is delete the relevant controller entry in the device manager. You will probably see lots of cdrom errors in the event log.

I have so references somewhere, if I can find them I will post them.

Andy


#9

Thanks for the suggestions/input, all. I updated the SiS PCI IDE UDMA driver and have ripped about 10-15 cd’s without it reverting back to PIO! Hopefully, this lasts.


#10

i just had the same problem with a dru510a
but it seemed to have gone back to dma when i right click uninstall’d the driver for the 2nd ide channel which it was on, and then i clicked on scan for hardware changes, it seemed to have refreshed it and is back to dma, gonna look for some dfi motherboard upgrades to fix this sh1t