LTD-163D and DVD+R

vbimport

Ive burned a DVD+R with my Liteon DVD+R Burner.

I played them in my Pioneer DVD ROM(on my 2nd pc) without any problem.

On my 3rd pc i have a Lite-On LTD-163D where it reads very badly. It can see the index, but then it get stuck when it tries to read what the files are, like a thumbnail for the divx's on it.
Ive to wait very long when i open a divx file, and when it finally opens it plays very bad, jumping frames etc. Then after a pair of frames it does show it stops, and the player makes much avtivity, so the only thing to do is get de DVD out of it.

Ive tried GHR5 en GHR8 (diff. firmwares) but it doesnt matter.

You’ll likely have better luck with DVD-R on the 163.

Well, when i insert the dvd, windows asks me what to do.

When i choose “Play, using wmp” it starts playing the first of the divx files.
One by one i try to play(which seems to be very difficult) them from the playlist till the 9th file.
Then it the system is hunging, trying to read from the dvd over and over again. The only thing left i can do is eject the dvd.

When i try to just explore the DVD it hungs by trying to show the thumbnails of them.

It reads so poorly, so isnt there anything i can do to play dvd+r better?
It does on my Pioneer DVD ROM, which is almost a year older :confused:.

Thanks in advance

Did you perhaps do some quality tests on the +R discs you have written? If not, it might be wise to check our Media forum, read a little around, download KProbe and test your media.

What we already now, is that the Pioneer drive is better compatible with this media than the LiteOn is, but it could be good to know wether the quality of your written disc isn’t that good, or there’s a structural problem between your LiteOn ROM and the media or even the -R format…

vito,

my 2 liteon 163d drives also have problem reading dvd+r movies burnt with my liteon 451s->851s. what you need to do is to use a booktype setting tool to set the dvd+r to dvd-rom type. not sure if your dvd writer supports that. even after doing that, i would say the 163d is still only 99% compatible…

Vito, I too have a Liteon DVD drive and have never had any problems with reading any type of dvd+r or dvd-r for that matter. If you are having problems, I’d suggest a firmware update perhaps. Or perhaps check that the drive is in fact using UDMA mode ect. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Did you perhaps do some quality tests on the +R discs you have written? If not, it might be wise to check our Media forum, read a little around, download KProbe and test your media.

What we already now, is that the Pioneer drive is better compatible with this media than the LiteOn is, but it could be good to know wether the quality of your written disc isn’t that good, or there’s a structural problem between your LiteOn ROM and the media or even the -R format… [/B]

It’s sad, but Liteon LTD-163D don’t support DVD+R/+RW. Newer Liteon models like 165H, 166S is ok about +R/+RW discs.

You may burn -R/-RW, it’s ok on 163D. If you insist +R discs, try +R bitsetting to set +R discs to DVD-ROM type. Don’t use pure +R type on 163D, it’s pain.

Have to completely disagree with - loimlo
I have played and ripped many many movies DVD-ROM/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW with my Lite-On LTD-163D (fw. GHR8) and have never had any problems. I believe the problem lies elsewhere within your setup. Or perhaps your drive is in fact “bad”. I didn’t notice any mention of specs on either of the systems which makes it very hard to figure out why “divx” burned files are not playing off of one computer while they play off another. Have you tried playing any other type of dvd on the liteon? how about switching the drives to see if perhaps it’s something else within the system that is causing this slowdown? Just a few suggestions hope they help.

Originally posted by eltino
Have to completely disagree with - loimlo
I have played and ripped many many movies DVD-ROM/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW with my Lite-On LTD-163D (fw. GHR8) and have never had any problems. I believe the problem lies elsewhere within your setup. Or perhaps your drive is in fact “bad”. I didn’t notice any mention of specs on either of the systems which makes it very hard to figure out why “divx” burned files are not playing off of one computer while they play off another. Have you tried playing any other type of dvd on the liteon? how about switching the drives to see if perhaps it’s something else within the system that is causing this slowdown? Just a few suggestions hope they help.

Really strange…let me explain my system. I have these optical walls

1. ASUS 0402P(Pioneer DVR-105)
  2. Liteon LDW-811S only for K-Probe :frowning:
  3. 4KUS COB-1H4816(Liteon ODM, the firmware between Liteon counterpart is switchable)
  4. BTC whatever 24X CD-ROM
  5. BenQ DW800A
  6. Liteon LTD-163D
  7. Liteon 16102B

I had ever got it, but sold to my friends

1. Pioneer DVR-106D
  2. Pioneer DVR-107

My 163D just couldn’t read +R discs well from the burners i have had used before. If I would booktype +R discs to DVD-ROM type, everything goes wonderful. I guess there conditions

1. Your 163D revision is newer than mine.
  2. My 163D doesn’t like my +R discs. But why DVD-ROM type is fine
  3. My 163D goes crazy!

Anyway, I like Liteon’s CD-RW/DVD-ROM/DVD combo. But I really disklike LDW-811S :frowning:

Many people report problems with the 163D and DVD+R, maybe it’s firmware versions or just media-dependant.

i have 2 liteon 163d’s i flashed one to GHR8 firmware, while keeping the other one at GHR3. same results. both have problems reading dvd movie backups on DVD+R. once i set the DVD+R burning to DVD-Rom type, then 99% of the problem goes away.

it’s the drives, and maybe the media. but my new panasonic s25 dvd player has no problem reading even the DVD+R.

Interesting thread.

I was wondering why my burned DVD+R discs reported so many errors on my LTD-163D drive. It’s readable, but tons of errors. Here are 2 scans, burned at 4x and 8x:

DVD+R 4x Ricoh media burned @4x:

Same Media burned @ 8x:

Originally posted by aggybong
[B]Interesting thread.

I was wondering why my burned DVD+R discs reported so many errors on my LTD-163D drive. It’s readable, but tons of errors. [/B]

Although there is a problem with this drive and certain media, I have to mention that these LiteON DVDROM drives are no good for using Kprobe with. It works, but the results you get can’t be compared to the scans made with KProbe and LiteOn DVD burners. The results of scans made with DVDROM drives aren’t representative… thery are good though for comparing the quality of different media!

I was comparing results with a retail DVD read on the exact same drive,

Originally posted by happybob
[B]i have 2 liteon 163d’s i flashed one to GHR8 firmware, while keeping the other one at GHR3. same results. both have problems reading dvd movie backups on DVD+R. once i set the DVD+R burning to DVD-Rom type, then 99% of the problem goes away.

it’s the drives, and maybe the media. but my new panasonic s25 dvd player has no problem reading even the DVD+R. [/B]

Well. I have flashed my 163D to GHR8 firmware as well. To my disappointment, 163D still dosen’t like +R discs. When setting +R type to DVD-ROM type, everything goes great. Maybe 163D dosen’t like RitekR03. Anyway, -R/+R booktype are fine. I am satisfied with 163D. My friend’s 165H/166S are great drives as well!!