LTD-163 and Promise Controller

vbimport

Hey guys..

I have an Asus A7V133 that comes with a promise controller. My current setup is Primary IDE-120gig WD HD, and the Secondary IDE- Sony CDR. I have an IBM 40gig on my primary promise controller, and the LIteon LTD-163 on my secondary promise controller. When it boots up. It shows that my 40gig HD that is on the primary of the promise controller in ultra DMA mode in mode 5. and it also detects my Lite-on LTD-163 but it doesn't have anything next to it to tell me if its in DMA mode. I am running Windows2K Pro, and I checked to see if I can find out if its running in DMA mode. but I can't tell at all. There are no options to tell. I can tell about the stuff running on my Primary and Secondary IDE, but I can't tell about my promise controller stuff. The reason I am looking is because I am trying to figure out why I am having horrible seek times.

With Nero Speed Test, I am getting,

108ms for Random, 173ms for 1/3, and 800ms for full!

my average speed is 25.73x, and it starts at 15x, and it ends at 33x.

I am comparing it to this website:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=60&page=Performance

and mine is not even close to these values.

I have an AMD 1.33ghz, 512mb ram, sony cdr, WD 120gig SE HD.

If anybody can help. please PM me or Reply. I appreciate any help!

THANKS!

dyn0

Hi there,
I had similar issues with my burner on my Soyo Dragon Plus raid controllers. During Nero CDSPEED tests it would burn up to half way it would normally do then drastically take a plunge in the burning speed.
I’ve seen many say this before that raid controllers weren’t made for other devices other than hard drives.
I didn’t want to beleive it but it seems more and more true so I just moved my hard drives to the raid controllers and set it in regular ide mode and not raid and put my dvdrom and burner on the regular ide controllers. Now everything works great like how its suppose to.
Hope this gives you an idea of the picture.

Thanks for the reply!

so you boot straight from your promise controller or your raid controller(whatever kind it is). Do you see any performance loss on the hds by moving the hds to the promise controller…

Thanks.

Originally posted by dyn0
[B]Thanks for the reply!

so you boot straight from your promise controller or your raid controller(whatever kind it is). Do you see any performance loss on the hds by moving the hds to the promise controller…

Thanks. [/B]

Yeap, it works just like a regular ide controller :smiley:
No performance loss - mostly because the raid controllers are designed for HDDs.

But if you want to know about performance gains - thats where your cdrom/burner come in, because they’re the only ones suffering on the raid channels.
I’m not too sure if your motherboard can support the use of raid controllers as regular ide controllers, but hopefully someone will see this and help you out.

I have an Abit KG7-R mobo, and I’ve read specific warnings NOT to put anything other than hard drives on the RAID controller. This mobo uses the Highpoint RAID chip. See sig, I have both the burner and DVD dtive on the regular secondary IDE channel and it works fine.

I had an Asus A7V133…the raid/ata100 controller is not made for cdrom/cdrw…check the manual…only place HDD on it…

DO NOT put the cdrom/cdrw drive on the controller…