LTD-163 and Nero Info Tool

vbimport

I've just run the InfoTool against an LTD-163 in a new PC in the office [shipped in a Dell PC] and it tells me this;

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : No :eek:
Read DVD-RW : No :eek:
Read DVD+RW : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Disc Information (D:)

Type : DVD-R :rolleyes:
Capacity : 4.38 GB
Layers : 1
Version : 5
Disc Size : 12 cm

Region Protection Control : RPC I
Region : All
Changes User
Changes Vendor

I thought that when DVD drives left the factory they had to be RPC II with the appropriate region code set for the country you are in.

So why is InfoTool wrong with DVD-R reading, and can I trust the RPC information? Does it need an ASPI layer installed to be accurate?

I just received a refurb LiteOn LTD-163 with firmware GH4N, and Nero Info Tool showed very similar results to yours, except mine has RPC II with no region set. The weird thing was that I could not turn on DMA under Windows XP.

After I flashed the drive to the latest firmware GH5N, suddenly everything changed to normal, DMA is on and every DVD option, except DVD-RAM, is readable.

You may want to flash your drive to firmware GH5N, which can be downloaded from

Here

The firmware needs to be executed in the DOS mode. Good luck!

I suspect that Dell must do something to the Firmware as mine is showing GDHA as the version! It seems to work fine, and as it is an Office PC I shall leave it well alone.

I have recently got a LTD-163D for my PC at home, and that was shipped with the latest firmware. Nero InfoTool shows that it reads everything but DVD-RAM. It is also RPCII with no region set, well it was until I put a region 2 DVD in there to play. Now do I make it region free or not…?

As far as I know, it doesn’t read Princo DVD-R crap media, but most others should work.

Is it correct that the 165 can read all DVD-types including DVD-RAM were the 163 misses the DVD-RAM support?

Originally posted by Namoh
Is it correct that the 165 can read all DVD-types including DVD-RAM were the 163 misses the DVD-RAM support?

I believe so.

Decided to use the InfoTool to tell me where my LTD-163D was on the IDE channels, just to confirm my expectation before region free-ing the drive, and guess what - it can’t tell me. It says that thall the devices are all on the same channel together with my Compact Flash card reader, so according to the infoTool I have a single IDE channel [unknown driver] with 5 devices on it

I used r1211.exe to make the drive region free, and guess what the InfoTool tells me that the drive is still RPCII with no vendor changes left and 4 user changes left.

The utility by Edwin Van Berg reports the drive now has no region protection, but can the InfoTool get it right, nope!

So it now has given me wrong or misleading information on 2 different PCs running 2 different operating systems, am I just unlucky?