LTC48161H Combi

Hi… Am pretty much banging my head against a wall, drive’s fine… but to play DVD’s from different regions is tricky…

Firstly l am on a mission and have been sent to Russia for 12 months from the UK, so using the PC to watch DVD’s is OK… except the local hire shop keep Region 2, 1 and 5 disks (mostly all pirated) and my preferred DVD software is U-Lead v1 which does not work with RegionFreeDVD, AnyDVD or GhostDVD which leaves me out in the rain…

Why U-Lead??? Well l like the player interface… it’s sound quality through an Asus P4S533 Mobo with onboard sound is great… it’s a micro case and no way can l fit a soundcard you see…

I’ve got (and will be throwing out… WinDVD5+6+Platinum as well as PowerDVD5 and the DVD X Region Free player (real crap, full of bugs!!) because all of these programs send my SoundMax chip into little bursts of static… no matter how l regulate the setup of all hardware…

Is there a way to flash upgrade the DvD drive to Region Free (0) so that l can continue to use my U-Lead player (love it!) and the Liteon drive and play any DVD regardless of regional code???

l’ve searched for clues everywhere… but come up dry…

Tia,

Ivan

Hi, and welcome. :slight_smile:

Here are two links that may help…
1/ LtnRPC to make your drive region-free
2/ Region-freeing issues with software/OS (read this after using LtnRPC)

Sure, use LtnRPC to make the drive region free, then install DVD Region Killer to fool Ulead DVD Player.

Hi Guys,

Thanks v.much for the two posted replies.

l applied the latest firmware already, but have now downloaded the RPC utility and run it as well - as you suggested :slight_smile:

First, the RPC did the trick, drive works with (well l’ve just tested with R2+R5 media ok) any DVD disk…

However the sound quality has taken a serious dive. l have static crackles and pops at every volume setting and in every audio mode l can set.

This was NOT evident on the U-Lead DVD software before (but it was the case on the X-Player… the region free net download player… so full of bugs it shouldn’t be for sale at $79.95).

Before l patched the drive l dropped out of my usual OS and, using Ghost, went back to a fresh install with all up to date drivers… patched, rebooted, reinstalled U-Leads player. Rebooted. Set player parametres, set soundchip parametres correctly. Played DVD tests.

So what should l look for to correct this?

I have an Asus P4S533-MX Mobo with Soundmax audio drivers, 2Ghx P4, the Lite-on 48161H, standard creative twin speakers, 256Mb RAM (32Mb reserved for video) and a CRT monitor running sweetly at 85Hz and 800x600 resolution… all hardware is AOK and recent… OS is Win2k…

This problem is really annoying… and l thank you again for your help, l know it’s nice when people post back to say how they got on…

Cheers,

Ivan

sounds like the clock is wrong for the sound. are these players multi region? if not maybe that is the issue.