LTC-48161H Combo reading performance

Nice review on the Lite-On LTC-48161H Combo by OC-Freak.

Does anyone know how the reading capabilities of the drive compare to the -166 DVD and the -401 DVD+RW drives? I haven’t seen a review on a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive since the -163 and that review is a little outdated.
Does a separate DVD-ROM drive still perform significantly better than just the Combo or DVD+RW?

It better perform well. I just bought 2 of them for $51 each shipped.

I have two of them. (48161H drives that is)

They both have difficulties with certain brands of DVD-R’s (especially the “cheaper ones”).

My LTD 165 DVD-ROM doesn’t have any problems with the burnt cheap DVD-R’s though.

For good reading performance, stick to the old firmware KH0F preferably since I have experienced difficulty not only reading certain media but also writing to certain media at top speed.

I’ve got one of these at home, and have a strange problem…

Using all TY media…

Write one at home on the Combo drive, and it reads back in Kprobe at an average C1 of around 20

Read this at work, on my 52246S, and C1 of around 3

Same problem the other way around, disks written on my 52246S have a low C1 if reading on the same drive, but higher C1 on my combo drive.

Anyone else had this problem?

I just bought my third one. Only $49 shipped. These things are great. Great performance and great price. I’m going to put one of these in every PC I build from now on.