LP.Cassette to Mini Disk

vbimport

I have some old LPs which I would like to get on Mini disk,any ideas how I can achieve this would be most welcome.

What software would I need to do this and also what would I need to remove any scratches etc…

What leads would I need to connect all this together

Many thanks

I would record the LP’s and enhance the wav-files (hiss/click removal) with Cooledit Pro.
You’ll need some sort of pre-amplifier because the signal from your LP-player is too weak. I’m using a Turntable with phono-connectors for this purpose, but any HIFI-amp with LP-input and stereo output will do.
setup:
LP -> AMP input
AMP output (cinch stereo; red/white) -> Soundcard Line-input

After recording and enhancing the tracks, you can record them to minidisk using either the stereo output from your soundboard or an optical output (if both your soundcard and minidiscrecorder support the optical in/output)

You’ll need a source w/ optical out if you plan on transfering that LP to MD. Are you using a MD Deck or portable MD recorder? If you don’t have a MD recorder yet, I suggest you pickup Sony’s MZ-N505 portable recorder. It’s affordable yet has lot of options. It has optical line-in for digital recording, but no analog line-in. I strongly advice you use the optical line-in whenever possible for best possible quality.

Originally posted by Stoner

If you don’t have a MD recorder yet

I do :bigsmile: Sony MDS-JA30ES

LPs are analog, they have no optical output.

Nice deck there.

Well, you can always buy a MD deck and hook the LP thing up to it. Mmm… MD deck.

Originally posted by Stoner

Well, you can always buy a MD deck and hook the LP thing up to it. Mmm… MD deck.
Sure ! :wink:

Neither…
An MD deck has no input for vinyl. Vinyl uses special inputs found on amplis or mixers, called “phono”, much more sensitive than line inputs.

You must plug the turntable into a mixer or an ampli, and plug the tape out into the MD deck.

Originally posted by Pio2001
Neither…
An MD deck has no input for vinyl. Vinyl uses special inputs found on amplis or mixers, called “phono”, much more sensitive than line inputs.

You must plug the turntable into a mixer or an ampli, and plug the tape out into the MD deck.

ROTFL !

@Pio2001
I simply didn’t care much :bow: of including my amplifier in the list > Sony TA-FA50 ES

Does it make any sense to you now ?
I thought it was kinda obvious and it went without saying. :cool:

:wink:

Not so obvious since most recent amplis come without phono input, and therefore don’t allow you to copy vinyls…

But what destabilized me in the first place was the use of “optical source” on a MD recorder with “no analog input” for vinyl recording :confused: !

Originally posted by Pio2001
most recent amplis come without phono input, and therefore don’t allow you to copy vinyls…

Thank God for allowing me to avoid this with mine ! :smiley:

Originally posted by jomo

I have some old LPs which I would like to get on Mini disk,any ideas how I can achieve this would be most welcome.

These articles might be helpful in achieving your goal >

Transferring LPs to CDR

FAQ About Audio on a PC

Minidisc Tricks and Tips: Media Transfer