Low definition to high definition

vbimport

Is it possible to convert a video original from low definition to high definition?

for example i recorded a movie using my phone, is it possible to convert that video to 1080p?

if so, how can i do that?

The conversion is possible, but result will be ugly. There is too much difference between a cellphone resolution and a full HD resolution.

Some people refers that also converting a standard DVD into a fullHD resolution gives ugly results.

I never tried such a thing, but I think that AviDemux can do the work :slight_smile:

Interesting! as i though, but how is possible for old movies in the 70s available in full HD nowadays, that is strange, is this special kind of conversion that requires high quality work in studios.

Studios have big budgets and can afford to fix each frame individually if need be. Also, even though the movies might be from the 70s (or earlier), the source is generally film, which has a very high resolution.

[QUOTE=bozee33;2495408]Interesting! as i though, but how is possible for old movies in the 70s available in full HD nowadays, that is strange, is this special kind of conversion that requires high quality work in studios.[/QUOTE]

Corrected the mistake. :slight_smile:

They start with original 35mm prints which is usually a higher quality source. They scanned it frame by frame at 4k x 4k resolution, then they hand visited every frame to paint out scratches and marks. They rebalanced and grade the footage and finally re-size it down to 1080p resolution and encoded it for Bluray.

Here is an example,

[B]Link:[/B] http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/2624/blade-runner-on-the-cutting-edge.html

Some more reading for ya

How many pixels are there in a frame of 35mm film?

[B]Link:[/B] http://pic.templetons.com/brad/photo/pixels.html

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=bozee33;2495392]Is it possible to convert a video original from low definition to high definition?

for example i recorded a movie using my phone, is it possible to convert that video to 1080p?[/QUOTE]

As geno888 stated, it is possible but the results will almost certainly come out fugly. And even if the phone’s camcorder can capture full SD resolution of 720x480, the imaging sensors are simply not of high enough quality to produce videos suitable for viewing on a large screen – the images will almost always come out noisy.

Even transfers from video originals on standard VHS tape to HD can turn out fugly due to standard VHS’s low effective horizontal resolution of 240 to 250 TV lines per picture height. (Compare this to analog NTSC broadcast’s effective horizontal resolution of 320 to 330 TV lines per picture height, S-VHS/Hi8’s 400 to 420 TV lines per picture height and Hollywood-mastered 1.33:1 DVD’s approximately 500 TV lines per picture height.) Converted to absolute digital pixels, this corresponds to 320x480, 440x480, 560x480 and 720x480, respectively, for these “standard-definition” video formats. For PAL, 576 lines are used for the vertical resolution.

And when '70s originals get transferred to HD, they do not use the already existing standard-definition broadcast prints (unless such copies are the only ones extant) – but instead, they go back to the original film source, which is usually of even higher resolution than full HD video. A few '70s shows were shot directly to videotape; therefore, they are ill-suited for direct transfer to HD.