Low burst rate using a DH20A4P

So the power supply is the reason that it is staying in mode 2? If that’s so I’ll have to get one. What would be a good one for my system?

I don’t think you can burn at 18X with that Burst Rate and TRT (well, it’ll complete the burn, but not at 18X). Could be a Dell idiosyncracy, try putting the jumper at the back of the drive on “Cable Select” and use the originally supplied ribbon cable that came with the PC.

I can burn at 18x I have a few times. I’ll try the Cable Select when I get back home and let you know

[QUOTE=PaulN64007;2021162]So the power supply is the reason that it is staying in mode 2? If that’s so I’ll have to get one. What would be a good one for my system?[/QUOTE]

400w and above. I use a 450w.

[QUOTE=PaulN64007;2021175]I can burn at 18x I have a few times. I’ll try the Cable Select when I get back home and let you know[/QUOTE]
What Cressida was saying, is with that burst rate, there is no way the burn will still be at 18x near the end, like the tranfer rate graph, even though you were able to select it. More likely the drive will fall back to a lower burn speed and you won’t even know it has happened.

I did a test and I selected 18x and that’s what it burned at

ok I tried it using cable select with the 80 wire cable and with the stock one that came with the computer that is a 40 wire cable and neither of them worked. I will check if it’s a power supply problem when I get a new one. until then anyone with other ideas? Thanks to all that are helping.

[QUOTE=PaulN64007;2021337]I did a test and I selected 18x and that’s what it burned at[/QUOTE]

Show us a Disc Quality scan of this burn (scan speed set at 4X) and an accompanying Transfer Rate Test. Use CDSpeed 4.7.7.5 or older (not .15).

When doing a Burst Rate test, repeat it a couple times to verify it’s consistent.

What does it say in the BIOS about your IDE Channels and DMA?

Burned a Sony 16x DVD-R SONY16D1 at 18x

Ran Burst Rate 4 times every time was 17 MB/s

In BIOS UMDA is on. Drive is connected to Master Secondary IDE

[QUOTE=PaulN64007;2022038]Burned a Sony 16x DVD-R SONY16D1 at 18x

Ran Burst Rate 4 times every time was 17 MB/s

In BIOS UMDA is on. Drive is connected to Master Secondary IDE[/QUOTE]

What is connected to Master Primary.

I have two 40 pin connectors. There is nothing on the 40 pin Primary IDE channel. That was used for the original Hard Drive. The DVD Drive is on the 40 pin Secondary IDE channel. The two SATA-II Drives are connected to the Serial ATA ports. I have tried the Drive on the 40 pin Primary IDE Channel and that didn’t work either.

[quote=PaulN64007;2022137]I have two 40 pin connectors. There is nothing on the 40 pin Primary IDE channel. That was used for the original Hard Drive. The DVD Drive is on the 40 pin Secondary IDE channel. The two SATA-II Drives are connected to the Serial ATA ports. I have tried the Drive on the 40 pin Primary IDE Channel and that didn’t work either.[/quote]Paul, if you have your burner on an IDE channel by itself (not with a second device so you need to designate one master and other other slave), make sure you are using an 80-wire cable and remove the jumper that sets for master, slave or cable select. If you have only one ATA drive connected to the channel your burner is on, using the jumper can screw things up.

The two 40 pin connectors I’m talking about are on the motherboard not on the cable it self. The burner is on master and I have the jumper settings all in the right place. I am using an 80 wire cable too.

[quote=PaulN64007;2022192]The two 40 pin connectors I’m talking about are on the motherboard not on the cable it self. The burner is on master and I have the jumper settings all in the right place. I am using an 80 wire cable too.[/quote]I may be misunderstanding something here. From the attachment you posted, it appears you have only two SATA HDDs and the single regular ATA burner. If that’s the case, you don’t need a jumper on the burner. You need a jumper ONLY when you have another drive on the same cable the burner is on. In fact, a jumper can cause problems when there’s not another drive on the cable.

With my setup, I have to use jumpers because I have two SATA HDDs as you do but four regular ATA optical drives (two per cable on the Primary and Secondary IDEs).

Yeah, it’s a mystery. You can write, but not read at 16X+ :confused:

The fact that you don’t get UDMA4 with 80-wire ribbon cable says there’s something odd with the Dell BIOS though. Not your standard i865G implementation.

[QUOTE=larc919;2022467]I may be misunderstanding something here. From the attachment you posted, it appears you have only two SATA HDDs and the single regular ATA burner. If that’s the case, you don’t need a jumper on the burner. You need a jumper ONLY when you have another drive on the same cable the burner is on. In fact, a jumper can cause problems when there’s not another drive on the cable.

With my setup, I have to use jumpers because I have two SATA HDDs as you do but four regular ATA optical drives (two per cable on the Primary and Secondary IDEs).[/QUOTE]

I have two 20A4P Drives I was following C0deKing’s advice as he said in post #6 “Make sure there is no other drive on the secondary IDE channel.” So I was just testing it with one drive.

When I hook up both drives they are both doing the same thing, with the read and write. I have the jumpers set up right. I’ll try just one drive without the jumper.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2022571]Yeah, it’s a mystery. You can write, but not read at 16X+ :confused:

The fact that you don’t get UDMA4 with 80-wire ribbon cable says there’s something odd with the Dell BIOS though. Not your standard i865G implementation.[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried everything I can think of in the BIOS and nothing is working. I’m hoping maybe it’s just not getting enough power from my 250 watt PS. I bought a new one and should get it before the weekend and see if that works.

So you have jumper set for master on your 20A4P. The drive is on the end of an 80 wire IDE cable with the other end plugged into the mobo correct?

[QUOTE=PaulN64007;2022586]I’ve tried everything I can think of in the BIOS and nothing is working. I’m hoping maybe it’s just not getting enough power from my 250 watt PS. I bought a new one and should get it before the weekend and see if that works.[/QUOTE]

I’d rather have a 250W Dell OEM PSU than an obscure 350W offering. If your PSU was underpowered, I think you’d have other problems. Anyway, you’ll have to try any suggestions, like pfloyd or larc’s. I can’t make heads nor tails of it.

Even in UDMA2 your Lite-On should work well. I have one in a USB enclosure with 40-wire ribbon and it does ~23MB/s burst rate no problem.

[QUOTE=Bob;2022590]So you have jumper set for master on your 20A4P. The drive is on the end of an 80 wire IDE cable with the other end plugged into the mobo correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes that is correct