Low burning speeds something wrong with drive?

I have NEC 3500A using the beta8 firmware from liggy. Computer is an Athlon 2200+ Western Digital 7200rpm hd as Primary Master and the NEC is Secondary Master. Got the good cables on both of course.

Using Nero 6.6.0.0 Ultra edition and Alcohol 120% and the burner will only burn 4x DVDs I have RiData DVDRs…and the CDs I have I know are higher speed CDs and they only burn at 16x… (only choices available for CDs is 8 and 16…) Any idea what is going on here? Is the bookmark setting causing this…UDMA is enabled and HD is not full and not fragmented

What mobo chipset are you on? IDE/ATAPI drivers? Use Nero Info Tool to check this.

Post us a full MID of your “RiTEK” media. Use DVD Identifier :wink:

I have a Nvidia Nforce 2 mobo…I uninstalled the IDE drivers and let the default Winxp ones be installed. Ill check though

Wierd under Atapi drivers it says n/a in Nero Info tool cant find the IDE drivers in info tool

Did you re-boot after you uninstalled them?

yes, did that long ago.

Just now getting around to wondering why my drive only goes 4x for dvd and 16x for CDs hehe

The media is Ritek Media Type R03 Product Revision 002. Recording speeds go up to 8x on this guy…

Heck even DVD Identifier says it can at least do 8x…

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 8467 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 7056 KBPS ( 5.09x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #3 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #5 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.04x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #6 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

Very wierd that Nero or Alcohol wont let me write at 8x at least…let alone attempt 16x

Decent media, nothing wrong there. Did you get the same “slow” burns when on other (or original) firmwares?

Have you tried a transfer rate test in Nero CD/DVD Speed (F2)? If not give it a run and post back what you get.

At last post the output from Nero Info Tool in #

wraps next time. Just push the floppy att top of app window, in new window; copy and paste.  :cool: 

[IMG]http://medlem.spray.se/kalove6/cdfreaks/NeroInfotool.PNG[/IMG]

Ok…wierd, after running nero info tool…nero now will burn CDs at 48x and dvds at 8x…seems something needed to be updated and info tool did it…very wierd…