Loudness War in Classical music?

vbimport

I have noticed that classical albums are getting louder too. This happened at the same time as the pop and other genres. I don’t have any remasters to compare to, but I have some CDs of famous bands, their recordings in the 80s and 90s were much more quiet than their releases in the new millennium, and it’s for the same label.

I’m playing them right now, at the same volume knob levels, the old CDs are just right, the new ones are a bit disturbing and gives me a headache.

It’s all about refining and getting the best possible sound quality. It all depends on your tastes, but I CANNOT STAND the original CD transfers loaded with background noise and the fact that you have to crank the volume twice as loud on them. I prefer my music (regardless of which genre I happen to be listening to) to be as loud and clear as possible.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2067944]It’s all about refining and getting the best possible sound quality. It all depends on your tastes, but I CANNOT STAND the original CD transfers loaded with background noise and the fact that you have to crank the volume twice as loud on them. I prefer my music (regardless of which genre I happen to be listening to) to be as loud and clear as possible.[/QUOTE]

That’s probably true. But I do find the music getting noisier since the mid 90s, the CDs mastered in the 80s are much quieter and less “bombastic” than the Cds recorded now.

That’s the trick, they make it sound more “bombastic” so that you can be like “WOW”.
I always prefer the levels to be smooth and not to stay flat at zero, but thats not what many people want.

Aren’t the sound engineers using compression techniques now when they make up the master for pressing, making the sounds dynamic range tighter and therefore louder.
I agree that I like a clear sound so that I can hear [U]all[/U] the instruments and vocals. Alas this technique if not handled carefully loses much, how many times have you tried to hear some one sing to have them almost drowned out by the backing group or orchestra.
This compression can most easily heard when the TV adverts come on, they sound louder than the ordinary programs. Ofcom in the UK has warned the producers over this problem and I hope to hear an improvement in the coming months.