Loud Noise from Philips CDRW1610A

Last night I was setting up EAC. When it came to detecting the feaures for the Philips drive, there was a problem. The drive started spinning up but it seemed to be getting louder. Before I knew it, it ground to a halt (loud noise). I turned the PC off and manually ejected the drive. Thankfully the disc was in one piece!!

But, now I’m not sure whether it’s safe to use the drive or not. So what do you think? Is it safe to use?

Any answers guys? Was kinda hoping to get this sorted pretty quickly.:bigsmile:

It’s hard to know what to do!

Either the drive has suffered some kind of mechanical failure or it hasn’t. If something inside has broken, it’s probably not worth trying to repair - unless you’re particularly attached to this drive for some reason.

If you try taking the drive apart to take a look at its innards, you may land up ruining it even if it wasn’t ruined before - though if you’re careful and don’t power up the drive with the covers removed (because of the laser beam), that might be another way to handle this.

I’d try inserting a worthless disc (if you’ve got any coasters, AOL or Freeserve discs, one of those would do fine - alternatively try a blank CD-R) and be ready to pull the power in case anything dramatic happens. However, depending on what sort of noise it made, I may well take the drive out of the case and shake it first to see if I can hear anything rattling around inside.

I doubt a 16x10 writer will be able to spin fast enough to ‘explode’ if a disc breaks inside - supposedly you have to spin a disc faster than 40x for fragments to be ejected out of the drive.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]I doubt a 16x10 writer will be able to spin fast enough to ‘explode’ if a disc breaks inside - supposedly you have to spin a disc faster than 40x for fragments to be ejected out of the drive.

David [/B]

Thing is, it reads CDs at 40x.

My memory is that 40x is safe - above 40x could be dangerous if things are going to blow.

http://www.rm.com/safety/Default.asp says 40x is safe. If you want some good reading on the issue, http://www.rm.com/safety/Downloads/StructuralIntegrity.pdf is the research paper that RM commissioned.

David

I’m off to give it a go!!!

Wish me luck

EDIT: Well, I tried it and the drive appears to be dead:( . Tried the EAC calibration again and the drive refused to see the disc. Thanks for all your help!!!:bigsmile:

Chris