Loud hum/whine on recordings - LVW5045

I originally posted this on the review thread - reposting and hoping for some help.

So far, I’m really pleased - it works great, records high quality, timer is good, and it gets a lot of use because I’m using it to capture all my old VHS tapes (PAL & NTSC).

But, I’ve found a new problem.

I have it wired direct to the TV signal and to AV2 (in) via the cable box so by selecting TV or AV2 I can record either scrambled or regular channels. I have the TV connected in the same way so I can watch either by switching the TV Video selector - so far so good.

Now, I plug my VCR line out into AV1 (front) and I get a high pitched whine on the recording, unplugging the RCA cables one at a time I found a heavy ‘thump’ and humming through the speakers. I’m guessing I have a ground loop somehow but the 5045 does not have a grounding cable.

Anyone got any ideas on removing this (I assume) 60Hz grounding hum?

Thanks

David

first thing is find out if the problem is only with the front AV inputs. You can rig a ground to one of the screws on the back of the 5045 case to the center screw of a wall outlet.

It does appear to be only on the front AV input - the TV co-ax and the AV2 are permanently connected and I have no problem with record on either of those.

I’m wondering if the VCR is grounding through the AV1 - I’ll check it’s ground as well.

I grounded the VCR, thought it worked but then the third test recording had the whine. Now I’ll try grounding the 5045 as well.

Anyone else come across this problem??

Thanks

David

Hi,

Update - I grounded everything - no change :frowning:

Further experiments (completely unscientific) led to the following discovery: the ‘whine’ is there even if the VCR plugged into AV1 (front) is [B][I]switched off[/I] [/B] :eek: Unplugging both audio plugs and the whine goes away, so it’s not the yellow video connection.

ANYONE got any ideas at all - this is really driving me nuts, I can’t record my VCR tapes unless I plug into AV2 (rear) which means moving furniture etc :frowning:

HELP :confused:

A couple questions…

1. Is the only in/out connection to/from your vcr the one going to the 5045?

2. Are the vcr, the cable box, the 5045 and the tv all on the same A/C circuit leg (line)?

3. Does the whine still happen if you unhook the coax connection or the the connection to av2 from the cable box (with the vcr in AV1)?

Yes, there is only an ‘out’ connection from the VCR to the 5045, no input to VCR

1. Are the vcr, the cable box, the 5045 and the tv all on the same A/C circuit leg (line)?

Yes - all plugged into an Acoustics Research surge & spike protector

1. Does the whine still happen if you unhook the coax connection or the the connection to av2 from the cable box (with the vcr in AV1)?

That I don’t knw - haven’t done that test yet but I will now you suggested it

Thanks for the help

David

OK - update.

Grounded everything - no change.
Checked polarity on all power plugs, no change.
Removed all other connections into 5045 - just left AV1 - no change.
Plugged VCR into AV2 - Whoopee, no whine.

Which means the fault(?) is definitely due to some connection to the AV1 front inputs. I can even hear the whine if the VCR is off and I just have the cables plugged into AV1. The whine is definitely coming from the ausion system as turning it to mute make the whine go away. My TV speakers are ‘off’ and the output connected to a receiver/amplifier.

My last resort - unless anyone has any better ideas - is to buy a Radio Shack input switcher and plug everything into AV2 and switch when needed. Not ideal but it’ll probably work

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

David