Lost Sounds

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and approximately one year ago I lost my sounds accidentally and I have benn unable to have them restored since despite several attempts. It appears I have lost my wav sounds.
Any suggestions to assist me in having them restored.

Re-install your mobos sound driver…Go to the mobos website and get it, if you don’t have the CD that came with your sys…

[QUOTE=Jim Crane;2208863]I am using Windows XP Home Edition and approximately one year ago I lost my sounds accidentally and I have benn unable to have them restored since despite several attempts. It appears I have lost my wav sounds.
Any suggestions to assist me in having them restored.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the sounds in the Control panel of xp?? Also it would be good to know what kinda of computer or laptop you have? Also and if it is factory or home built in the case of desktop?? Giving us general information without hardware specs doesn’t give us much to go on.

As an example, email notification sounds upon receiving new messages, sounds made after saving an item. I am also using Quicken and I have lost the cash register sounds etc. I am using a factory buit computer which I purchased from Radio Shack. Compaq Presario.

[QUOTE=Jim Crane;2209016]As an example, email notification sounds upon receiving new messages, sounds made after saving an item. I am also using Quicken and I have lost the cash register sounds etc. I am using a factory buit computer which I purchased from Radio Shack. Compaq Presario.[/QUOTE]

How old is your computer?? That just sounds like a really old system??? Does the sounds play if you play music from the computer or HDD or cd?? Also do have the restore cd/dvd handy - if not you might have to purchase them so you can do a restore if needed??? Cause if it a software error then restoring it back to factory settings is one way to fix the sound problem if your unable to find the updates to fix it. But first put in a music cd and see if you get any sounds out this will tell you if your sound hardware is working and if you have something like winamp or similiar play those music cds and see if you still get audio or sounds. We have to first test whether it’s a software or hardware problem. If it is the latter unless it a sound card then it simple just replace it if it built onto the motherboard then it might be time to get a new board or replace the computer.

No problem whatsoever playing music cd’s.

This is another reply I received from cdfreaks:

“Re-install mobos sound driver…Go to the mobos web site and get it, if you don’t have the cd that came with your system”

Do you think this will work?

That’s usually what we tell computer users to make sure your drivers and firmware is updated and the correct one or correct drivers. Just go to the motherboard site and see what they say about your motherboard. But the way your describing it plays the sounds from cds correctly I would suspect something isn’t set in the sound control panel. I would say go look at the settings in control panel for sounds and see if the windows sounds default is selected or not. And if it lets you select the sound test the sound and see if it works. Because if your sound wasn’t working you won’t be able to hear sounds or music from the cds as you just describe played. As to motherboard updates I usually don’t use the cds that come with the motherboard as though could be already old updated and the manufacture site always has the latest updates. But first I look at your Control panel in the sounds section and see if the windows default is selected or not. If it simple as the no sounds is selected then good news if not and nothing happens even after you selected the windows default it could be a system file was written over and the only way to really fix it is to use the Recovery cds to restore back to factory settings again.

Thanks