Lost Sheep

What happened to my Protected Game profile in CloneCD v4.2.0.2? I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to do a backup of my new Unreal2 game, using all the information I could find in these forums. Some time ago, I did a successful backup of NOLF2 using TwinPeak/BWA/CloneCD. I vaguely recall seeing a Protected Game profile during various earlier attempts, but it seems to have disappeared. I read somewhere that this profile was disabled for Japan and the USA so I d/l’d the program again from several different locations and re-installed each time but no sheep logo to be seen. Was it only available in earlier versions of CCD (which I had then upgraded)? To date I’ve successfully backed up 27 FPS games that I own, ranging from Quake right through to MOHAA, RTCW and NOLF2. Each one was a learning experience but I’ve had no luck with U2. In desperation I’ve d/l’d the latest Alcohol to see if it may do the trick. Any comments or suggestions about this post would be very welcome.

My system is: Asus A7S333 mobo, Athlon XP1800, 256 mb Kingmax PC2700 ram, 40 gb Seagate Barracuda HD, Pioneer DVD-Rom, LiteOn 24102B with latest firmware, and various other bits.

:confused:

If the Protected PC Game profile is missing, it’s almost certainly because you language settings are set for US english (which is the default). Change them to Australian english and re-boot. It should then be available.

As for Unreal 2, use the method set out here. It doesn’t need the Protected PC Game profile anyway. The default Game CD profile works fine.

Duh! Too easy mate. Sometimes we can’t see the woods for the trees. An earlier system crash (unrelated problem) required a full Windows re-install and reloading all my additional programs (of which there are too many). In the confusion, teeth-gnashing and swearing at the gods I just overlooked the simple things, resulting in more of the above. Thanks, Philamber.

By the way, I printed off your excellent article and followed it to the letter BEFORE I made my first post. I used BWAbuilder v4.2.8 at 8x to make a good BWA image with just 2 spikes at around sector 90000. Unfortunately, the results were still negative so I will continue to try various combinations to see if I can achieve a positive result (plenty of negative ones to date). The biggest problem is the amount of time it takes to erase the CD-RW following unsuccessful burns. Just as well that I’ve got time to burn (pun intended).

Anyway, thanks again for your reply, it helped!

Still prplxd :confused:

Unreal 2 - The Awakening is SecuROM v4.84.00.0008

Originally posted by prplxd
I used BWAbuilder v4.2.8 at 8x to make a good BWA image with just 2 spikes at around sector 90000. Unfortunately, the results were still negative so I will continue to try various combinations to see if I can achieve a positive result (plenty of negative ones to date).

Do your copies fail to play from both your drives or are you only unable to install from one or both of your roms?

Remember that if you want to run the copy from your writer (same as one of mine), you’ll need to enable hide cdr media before doing so. My guess is that your copies will install and run from your writer at least with hide even if your Pioneer dvd isn’t all that thrilled about them.

The copy of Unreal 2 I made for the ankle-biters (well they’re a bit older than that actually) ran from all my drives (with hide where necessary) and runs happily on the kids’ more powerful 'puter (their other one hasn’t got enough grunt to run the game) though I doubt that they’ve tested it except from their Litey dvd.

Wow, that was quick! To be quite honest, I can’t remember the details but I do know that it won’t even load with either drive. The drives spin up then …nothing! I have to eject the disk to regain control of my computer. On a couple of occasions an error message relating to autoplay came up saying a required file can’t be found. Because I tried so many different things over the last couple of days I can’t remember exactly what I did each time, but at one stage I had a copy that actually loaded and showed the splash screen but after that…again nothing. On another occasion I got the spinning disk symbol and nothing thereafter.
Because I wasn’t expecting any problems I didn’t document each attempt and because of my own memory problems (following a bypass op some years ago) I have difficulty in recalling specifics without written notes.

I have now fully erased both CD-RWs and will start from scratch, first by your method then, if that doesn’t work I’ll try whatever else I can. I’ll let you know what transpires.

Thaks for the quick comeback. :confused:

FutreProof, thanks for the Securom info but I’m not sure what to do with it (no rude suggestions here). How can this info help me to make a working copu of Unreal 2? Is there a specific CCD profile for this protection? Thanks for your interest. :confused:

Read the first sticky on this CloneCD forum, Philamber already gave you the link. All the info is there to help.:slight_smile:

FutreProof, thanks for the Securom info but I’m not sure what to do with it
There’s no profile for 4.8x per se. You have to ‘twinpeak’ the CloneCD image before burning. Like ww1912 said, it’s all here.

whats the difference between australian english and US english… aside from the term mate used many times

It’s hard to recognize the center color sometimes.

tap - faucet
lift - elevator
footpath - sidewalk
boot - trunk
bonnet - hood

anything British, they thought up another name for it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve finally made a working? copy of Unreal 2. I first made an image using the protected game profile, burned it and loaded it. Loaded successfully but would not play off the burned CD, as many have already pointed out that it would not. I then d/l’d the BWA image from this forum and used Twinpeak with my original .ccd image and the BWA image, then burned the patched.ccd image to disk. I then loaded the game again and this time it started and ran. However, game play was very jerky and I had numerous critical error crashes, which I thought may have been caused by a lack of memory, so I uninstalled the game and installed again from the original disks. Now the game loads fast, runs well with very few crashes, so it’s not my system but the game copy that must be the problem. Furthermore, the copy only ran on my writer and would not load at all on the DVD-Rom.

For now I’ve decided to put it in the too hard basket and just play the game. I’ll continue to look in on the forum from time to time in the hope that someone will have some other suggestions that I can try. Thanks to all for your interest and input, it was truly appreciated.

Still prplxd:confused:

Furthermore, the copy only ran on my writer and would not load at all on the DVD-Rom.

Hmm, from your results and other posts around the place, it appears that Pioneer dvd roms don’t care much for twinsector copies.