Lost patition, please help!

Houston, we have a problem!

I was trying to the program Seagate Disc Manager from UltimateBootCD (my damn curiousity, aarrrghh :a). It displayed a warning about possible incompatibility, so i immediately exited it and restarted the computer.

During the startup, Windows started to repair files on the disc (Restoring link to orphaned files - or something like that). Finally when it finished i noticed that my E: partition is lost. It is present in Computer Managment -> Disk management as unused space and when i call the context menu then there is only one option: Create logical disk.

So my question is: how to recover the lost partition with all the data on it ?

(My disc is a 250GB Seagate 7200.10 PATA and im using Win2000SP4)

Might want to try partition magic 8

Thanks, but i need a free and as small as possible application for that.
I came across a program called Active@ Partition Recovery. Has anyone tried it ? I’m afraid i will do even more damage to my file system :confused:

Maybe this link will help. Never used it mind.

I tried that Active@ Partition Recovery program. It found the partition, but when i try to recover it, it says [B]Partition overlaps with other partitions[/B]. Is it possible that Windows messed it up during that restoration process ?

try [B]meetsoft partition recovery[/B]
http://www.finalrecovery.com/partition-recovery/index.htm
i believe youll find its clone feature quite handy :smiley: , but that feature is only available on the full version :slight_smile:

Just now i noticed that many files on the partition D: got corrupted too… :sad: It seems that it happened during that “windows recovery” process becuase my mp3 files suddenly contain html tags…

Do you think that there’s a chance to recover those data, or i can format the E: partition and delete the corrupted stuff from D: and archivate what’s left ?

I’m now very close to crying…

sounds like their data was replaced by data of other files you may call that file curruption but i wouldnt , theres still a chance to recover those files with a good data recovery software,i recommend file scavenger/getdataback/r-studio , you may also be able to recover individual files from the lost partition with em too ,to maximize the odds of sucessfull data recovery remember these:

1. dont defrag the partition you wanna recover the data from , if you have any schedueld defrag then cancel it
  2. avoid installing/copying/modifying files on the partition you wanna recover data from
  3. never save the recovered data to the same partition it was recovered from,or to another partition you wanna perform data recovery on and havnt yet

i suggest youll get another hard drive with a nice empty partition for handling that lost partition,easier to recover it that way (with the clone feature in meetsoft partition recovery) , and in the future try to remember to never use any partitioning software unless theres a good reason and if you must use one read its manual first (who knows maybe that incompatbility with your drive was mentioned there…) , also now you know how important backup is better handle that too , i suggest youll use a good disk imaging software like acronis trueimage/paragon drive backup and schedule incermental backups to a second hard drive that way everything will be covered , or use a simple file/folder backup software to backup only specific stuff , like second copy

Sorry to read about your mishap, [B]molnart[/B]. If I were in this situation, I’d try connecting the HD as Slave in another PC (or setup a basic Windows on a spare HD on the same PC) and see if the partition can be accessed. If not, you’ll have to try and recover what you can. Maybe Partition Magic can repair the partitions (as mentioned above). I’ve also used BootItNG (www.terabyteunlimited.com). If all else fails, use GetDataBack or similar (but don’t expect too much).

Since i noticed the damaged files on the D: partition i do not care anymore about the lost partition (the data on it was far less important compared to the data on D: ).

Now the most important thing is to recover the damaged files on the D: partition, but when i look at those corrupted files they contain just garbage, but are readable.

It seems to me, that everything above the 137 GiB limit is gone/damaged. My theory is, that when Windows was trying to repair the files during starup it had no access to this area, so basically it messed everything up.

edit: i just tried File Scavenger. I did a scan of the D: partition, but the result shows files that are (and some of them were) present on C: :confused:

Hi,

indeed, it seems as if the 137GB issue kicked in :frowning:
Maybe you can use a Knoppix CD (and an empty HDD drive, formatted in FAT32) to get some files off the HDD.

Testdisk is a free, but powerful tool for experienced users to repair bad partition tables.

Michael

It seems that my problems are solved. I did a Long Search on the whole disk in File Scavenger and after the search finished everything is back (the lost partition and damaged files). It seems to me a bit strange, because i didn’t even use the recovery function…

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, but mostly to [B]easterbunny[/B] for recommending this excellent application :bow:

I am glad you were able to recover from this disaster.
I would suggest that you make a backup of all your important files now to avoid disaster in the future. You could use an imaging software to compress and store the data to cd or dvd using Acronis or similar.

It may be the recovery done went to a point prior to SP2 which would be a problem for the above 137 GB space. To avert that problem in the future you should choose a recovery point that’s post SP2.

Glad you made it molnart. :clap:

This is a good lesson for all of us playing around with partition tools. Never mess around without a back-up of your HDD partition table.
I’ve been using Partition Table Doctor for a while and I’m very satisfied with it. :wink:

you welcome :smiley: , glad you got it sorted :bigsmile:

what windows & service pack your using?
windows 2000 needs at least SP3 to support large drives
windows xp needs at least SP1 to support large drives however when using SP1 with large drives data curruption may happen unless the KB331958 hotfix is installed , this hotfix is not needed in SP2

I’m using Win2000 with SP4, but i remember when i installed my HDD i needed to update the mainboard drivers in order to access the area above 137GiB. So i guess SP4 alone is not enough

SP4 should be all that’s needed for mobos made within the past 2 years. I have an AMD 2600+ that’s 2 to 3 years old which only needed SP4, but for older ones driver updates may be needed.