Lost Key

vbimport

I just installed a 250G SSD in my Lenovo k450 1THDD, 12 Ram, i7. I restored it to factory which was Win 8 and installed Win 8.1 with a disk I

purchased online. To make a long story short, I just noticed my computer is not activated and does not recognize the Win 8.1 key, I was never

given a key with this computer and it is not located anywhere on the computer. Also tried to reset to factory again and it will not work, give

a message files are missing and to use the recovery disk to fix errors, when I use the Win 8.1 Recovery disk it gets to the installation and

when choosing what HDD drive to use , will not accept any.Can I somehow retrieve an original key?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2765235]Can I somehow retrieve an original key?[/QUOTE]

This tool should retrieve your bios embedded win 8 oem key…

https://neosmart.net/OemKey/

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2765235]I just installed a 250G SSD in my Lenovo k450 1THDD, 12 Ram, i7. I restored it to factory which was Win 8 and installed Win 8.1 with a disk I

purchased online. To make a long story short, I just noticed my computer is not activated and does not recognize the Win 8.1 key, I was never

given a key with this computer and it is not located anywhere on the computer. Also tried to reset to factory again and it will not work, give

a message files are missing and to use the recovery disk to fix errors, when I use the Win 8.1 Recovery disk it gets to the installation and

when choosing what HDD drive to use , will not accept any.Can I somehow retrieve an original key?[/QUOTE]
Upgrading to 8.1 uses your 8 product key if there is a problem you need to contact Microsoft about this. Unless you bought Full install Windows 8.1 with Product Key upgrading to 8.1 doesn’t give you a new Product Key. Also I think you have more problem then not getting your Product Key if you upgraded to 8.1. The product Key is in the UEFI bios if this is a factory computer-use something like belarc to find it but then your still at the problem the 8.1 doesn’t recognize the 8 Product Key which means you will have to still contact Microsoft Support about this.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765236]This tool should retrieve your bios embedded win 8 oem key…

https://neosmart.net/OemKey/[/QUOTE] I dont think that tool works in W10 RW.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2765373]I dont think that tool works in W10 RW.[/QUOTE]

That tool recovers the oem embedded bios key for win 8 Alan,not the windows 10 or windows 8.1 key which were used with later installs…:slight_smile:
durkinjt asked about how to retrieve his original key,and this way works for certain…I have a win 8.1 Pro mediacenter on this machine,but the tool shows the original embedded win 8 core key,not the 1 from win 8.1…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765378]That tool recovers the oem embedded bios key for win 8 Alan,not the windows 10 or windows 8.1 key which were used with later installs…:slight_smile:
durkinjt asked about how to retrieve his original key,and this way works for certain…I have a win 8.1 Pro mediacenter on this machine,but the tool shows the original embedded win 8 core key,not the 1 from win 8.1…[/QUOTE]

Yep, I got a bit mixed up there RW, sorry. I know AIDA recovers all the software keys including Windows 10.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2765387] I know AIDA recovers all the software keys including Windows 10.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t used AIDA for a long period of time,but most keyfinders only find the key from the latest windows install,not from a previous OEM,so I’ll have to check it out…:stuck_out_tongue:

AIDA huh? Go again! :slight_smile: I’ll second you roadworker… That was quite a while ago… I do however, from previous experience, believe that it will retrieve only the key from the installation and not the OEM. but I could be wrong here and that would be cool.
Have to track down a recent version and check it myself too, but for this subject I do not think I have any machines I could check… Hopefully, roadworker has a candidate or two - I’ll PM you on the subject…

Just tried AIDA,and as I suspected,only the Mediacenter package key was retrieved,the original windows 8/8.1 keys were not found…

He shows me my Windows 7 key and windows 10 key

[QUOTE=alan1476;2766062]He shows me my Windows 7 key and windows 10 key[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Well it don’t work for me & Windows 10 Pro 64 bit clean install.
Says “Unknown”.

I’m not home at the moment but tomorrow morning I’ll post a screenshot

[QUOTE=zebadee;2766069]Hi :slight_smile:
Well it don’t work for me & Windows 10 Pro 64 bit clean install.
Says “Unknown”.[/QUOTE]
Found a program called Magic Jelly Bean that found my key.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2766079]Found a program called Magic Jelly Bean that found my key.[/QUOTE]

Careful with that one durkinjt , its loaded with Open Candy.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2766076]I’m not home at the moment but tomorrow morning I’ll post a screenshot[/QUOTE]

This is what I get.
Only shows Windows, no other software.

This is what I get LOLOLOLOL Maybe if you updated once in awhile you would see it also.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2766104]This is what I get LOLOLOLOL Maybe if you updated once in awhile you would see it also.[/QUOTE]

It tends to be a key element of utter importance, at least when it it comes to system information programs

[QUOTE=Xercus;2766108]It tends to be a key element of utter importance, at least when it it comes to system information programs [/QUOTE] Yes, an update is a key element in any program especially when you are 3 years behind.:iagree:

Apparently I have the latest free version.

If you want to see serial # for Windows 10 Pro inc, for free.
Speccy does it.
Check it out at piriform.