Lost DVD-Ram player & recorder

vbimport

My Toshiba Satellite laptop is 3-4 years old. This last year I lost the use of my Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S and I also have a Toshiba MK8032GSX Disk Drive. I do not know what I did but I cannot install my printer etc., without it. The CD for the setup of my Toshiba Satellite sure works. What can I do to restore this hardware. Thank you, catseye:sad:

You could buy a replacement internal drive for your laptop, but you are limited to the same or very similar model and I would advsie you to buy a USB external drive which is both cheaper and gives you greater choice.

As for your setup CD; the software on these disks is out of date when they leave the factory. Why not just visit the Toshiba support site and download the latest drivers from there. The same goes for your printer; just get the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Slainte

midders

Thank you so much for your advise. I did download “Driver Detective” from Toshiba to keep my drivers updated. I will purchase a USB external drive as the ones they want to sell me are refurbished and cost $162. I forgot to mention the error message was I/O. Which I understand to read as an internal problem with my DVD drive itself.
Thank you again.
Judy

If you want a couple suggestions for external DVD/CD drives:

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Red Slim External DVD Writer Model SE-S084 $50, its powered by the USB cable so no power brick is required.

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Black External 22X DVD Burner Model SE-S224Q $50, uses a seperate power adapter. This is probably the better drive if you don’t need to be super portable and plan to burn a lot of discs.