Lost 1000 files copying over from hard disk to DVD RAM

vbimport

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

I got this message while cutting and paste files from my Hard disk to the DVD writer , caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly.and restart after a “ BLUE SCREEN “ ; according to Microsoft … this is a “stop error.”

1. I LOST ALL THE 1000 FILES that I was copying over …(Not in hard disk , and not in DVD RAM )
    a) any chance of recovering that ?

b) I still have some files on DVD Ram from the previous batch of files cut and paste over from the hard disc

well you should never cut and paste… cause risk is higher

They are on the hard disc. Use a file recovery program and you should get them back.
However if you have defragged or written to the drive since the problem then some of the files will be gone forever.
It is good practice to copy the files and then when satisfied all is well delete the ones on the HDD.

1. I will not defrag or write onto that folder in the hard disk
  2. I believe i can still copy files from other folders in this drive

1)is there a free " file recovery program "

You can use evaluation version of TuneUp Utilities 2006. It’s fuly funcional for 21 days, and it has ability to restore deleted files.

If you are in the UK and the files are legit, then PC World are offering a no fix no fee recovery service. If all else fails that is.

1. I will not defrag or write onto that folder in the hard disk
  2. I believe i can still copy files from other folders in this drive >