Lossless audio & DVD-recorder

I’m relatively new to the forum, but not new to MP3 audio. I’m getting interested in the idea of doing a (pseudo) once-and-for-all backup of my music collection utilizing lossless compression (most likely Monkey’s Audio).

The lynchpin, since I don’t have tons of space to store hundreds of CD-R discs with only two albums apiece, and I can’t afford extra 100gb hard drives, would be getting a DVD-R drive and burning the losslessly compressed audio to multi-gig discs. Theoretically, my 150 CD-Rs of MP3s would shrink to ~60 DVDs of losslessly compressed audio.

So what I’m wondering is, does anyone have any experience burning their collection to DVD? Any drive suggestions? Any thoughts on the feasability/wisdom of this concept in the first place?

If you want to keep the music files as MP3 and burn them on disc (be it CD or DVD) you will not experience any loss in quality (it is then simply data that is being burnt, no conversion takes place)

As for a recommendation for a DVD writer, I’d suggest the hardware section of this forum. The Pioneer comes highly recommended for general purposes, one of which is backing up PS2 discs…

certainly, music I already have in MP3 and for which I don’t own the original CD, I wouldn’t convert it to another format - no point.

But most of my music, I own, and the idea would be to have a lossless backup, so I never have to buy the CDs again.

Though whether I do a lossless backup via DVD or extra giant hard drives, just buying a replacement CD when they fail is probably the cheapest plan! :stuck_out_tongue:

Only problem then is if the CDs go out of print…

Ok, it wasn’t totally clear to me before.

The best way to prevent quality loss when backing these songs up is copying them as *.wav files. The only problem is very big files.

The best way to back these songs up with a minimum of quality loss, without taking up so much space, is using an MP3 ripping program (for example Exact Audio Copy (EAC)) and use the LAME encoder with variable bitrate and high quality.

For the last option I think you can find more information somewhere in the CD Freaks news archives as well as on this forum.

Why is WAV the best way to losslessly archive audio? I mean, I know it’s the best quality, but for size consideration, how is FLAC, APE or the alternatives any worse? Not as portable, but for a backup, there’s no loss of quality that I know of. Hence, “lossless” - same as WAV, and same as original CD. (Of course, it’d be lossy to go from vinyl to anything :P)

As for LAME MP3, I’m currently halfway through backing up my music collection using the standard alt-preset setting… Of course, a good portion of it is in --remix from back before the alt-preset thing was publicized so much, but the last time I archived my audio collection was 2-3 years ago using 128 & 160 kbps, and not LAME…

So while I’m doing it this time around it occurred to me that, sure, I’m using the best lossy compression at the moment, but MPC and Ogg are up-and-comers, in fact better - MPC the best. So why not switch mid-project to MPC or Ogg? Well, right now MP3 seems wisest to me for now.

But I can totally see myself doing this all over again in a couple of years with the next new, “better than ever” lossy compression, so why not get it over with once and for all by backing everything up to lossless, and not having to worry about quality?

Actually, I’ve made my decision now - I’m just going to stick with LAME alt-preset standard for now, and when it comes time to do the archival project again in 2-3 years, instead of going with Ogg or MPC or whatever lossy compression is best, DVD-R drives (or big hard drives) should be even cheaper, and it should a no-brainer to do everything losslessly next time around. I wonder if bandwidth will catch up enough in 2-3 years for people to consider trading lossless files?

If it’s just a matter of storing a backup of your audio, and not needing to actually play the songs, maybe you should consider WinArj/WinZIP/WinRar compression utilites.
They get good compresion ratios 1:10 (max) using lossless.

However, you will need to uncompress them in their entirety before you can play them, however, they are great for archiving.

But that’s a scraping the bottom of the barrel excuse not to use them if you just want to store them permanently.

:slight_smile: