Losing GB's

vbimport

Hi all.

It wasn’t so long ago that I had approximately 240GB’s of HD space.

Now, I have 97GB which is alarming.

I do a lot of burning using Nero 7 after converting with ConvertX.

I’m not sure if it’s Nero or ConvertX or even the place where I download things from (I won’t go into details on that one - say no more).

ConvertX - I use a specific folder and as soon as the DVD has burnt, I delete the files which is usually around 5GB’s though I don’t know if they have a back up folder on my PC - not that I’d know where to look for it.

Nero 7 - I have used the latest version of Nero (though had problems, hence switching back to 7) and every time I burnt a DVD, there was a back up folder where each project was saved automatically and as well as deleting the torrent file & ConvertX, I had to delete the Nero project, however, on Nero 7, I can’t seem to find (if they have) where they keep it and possibly this is the cause of my problam.

Perhap’s it’s my torrent software that keeps copies of everything downloaded though I can’t find that either.

Please can someone help me retrieve my 140GB’s?

Thanks.

The first thing is to find where is exactly the used space.

Did you check if the recycle bin is empty? Windows by default store there all deleted files.

You can use one of these free (and portable, i.e. no installation is required) tools to find what is exactly that is wasting HDD space :slight_smile:

Do a Windows search of .vob files and delete the movies in the temp folders and you will regain your Gbs.:wink:

Thanks Alan and Geno for your help and suggestions.

Alan - The .vob search brought up 18 files and gave me back around 7GB’s.

There were 3 projects, an old one, a recent one and a current one yet there has been so many more in between.

Could there be a different type of file other than .vob as there has been 10’s (probably closer to 100) of projects over the past year which didn’t show up?

I don’t understand why there would be only 3 random projects hidden on my PC and I’m still over 100GB short.

Geno - I always empty my ‘Recycle bin’ though I don’t know whether or not there will be a back-up folder hidden somewhere and where to look to empty (delete) it.

I guess there could be as you can usually restore items.

As for the tools:

a) I have Vista and the tools were not Vista compatable.
b) I wouldn’t really know which to use anyway - I have a registry tool on my PC which occasionally restores a few MB’s though that isn’t close to what I’ve lost.

You might want to try disk defragmenter. Chances are good that these large files will show in the report that’s generated.

[quote=pwell01uk;2158453]Thanks Alan and Geno for your help and suggestions.

Alan - The .vob search brought up 18 files and gave me back around 7GB’s.

There were 3 projects, an old one, a recent one and a current one yet there has been so many more in between.

Could there be a different type of file other than .vob as there has been 10’s (probably closer to 100) of projects over the past year which didn’t show up?

I don’t understand why there would be only 3 random projects hidden on my PC and I’m still over 100GB short.

Geno - I always empty my ‘Recycle bin’ though I don’t know whether or not there will be a back-up folder hidden somewhere and where to look to empty (delete) it.

I guess there could be as you can usually restore items.

As for the tools:

b) I wouldn’t really know which to use anyway - I have a registry tool on my PC which occasionally restores a few MB’s though that isn’t close to what I’ve lost.[/quote]
Try [B].bup [/B]also.:flower: You can also try [B].iso[/B].

[QUOTE=pwell01uk;2158453]
As for the tools:

b) I wouldn’t really know which to use anyway - I have a registry tool on my PC which occasionally restores a few MB’s though that isn’t close to what I’ve lost.[/QUOTE]
For me, the first tool shown with Geno’s link–TreeSize Free–works [on Vista] to show me which folders on my HDD take up the greatest amount of space, allowing me to pin the offending files down myself. Take the attached screenshots for example. I can see that, on this partition, the most offending folder is the “Music” folder, followed by the “Pictures” folder, etc. After expanding the “Music” folder, I found there was a 3 GB “Files” entry, showing that I had a large amount of free files just floating around in that folder. Now I know what to expect if/when I have to reorganize my music, for example–and I didn’t realize that I had so many unsorted files. :eek: :iagree:

Just a tip: Many “bloated” folders that may be on your primary drive [such as folders in the “Windows” folder] are necessary for proper functioning of your computer; however, others can be safely deleted. Check the web before deleting too many folders. :slight_smile:

When I need to find space, I use Windows Explorer’s ‘Search’ and choose to search by size. I usually pick 500,000 KB as the limit.

I use a program that’s free called TreeSize Free, it will scan a directory you choose (such as your C drive) and list files and folders by size. So you can see what exactly is taking up so much space. You can even go directly from the listing to the directory. It’s a great program to have.

TreeSize Free

A big thanks to all of you.

In the end, I found 100GB of hidden movie files in the Nero Vision ‘Imported Video’ folder.

It was Geno’s suggested tool ‘Tree Size’ that helped me locate it, which was also kindly pointed out by Albert & Neotype.

Once again, many, many thanks, you’re all worth your weight in gold.

It’s sites like this that make the internet the best invention of all time.

Cheers and may you all live long and happy lives!!!

You’re welcome :bigsmile: