Lord Of the Rings - SecuROM - 4.83.55 0008

Has anyone tried to make a image of this with the new version of Alcohol? It’s supposed to handle Securom 4.8x.

no dice, there advertisments are bei9ng misshyped…all A120% cand do is emmulate it…the hardware to wirte the image donst exist. and may not exist for some time…(if at all :a )

maxx

Originally posted by maxxcool
[B]no dice, there advertisments are bei9ng misshyped…all A120% cand do is emmulate it…the hardware to wirte the image donst exist. and may not exist for some time…(if at all :a )

maxx [/B]

When you say “the hardware to wirte the image donst exist”, do you mean hardware to write it to a disc or to write it to your HD? I ask because the original question, if I’m reading it correctly, was referring to making a working IMAGE, and Alcohol 120% v 133.1027 DOES effectively make a working NON-emulated image. I made one from the original disk and both my brothers downloaded it from me and mounted it with Daemon v3.16 (which is black-listed by UT 2003 so emulation is not possible with that version) and they’ve installed AND played with no probs (yet).

Maybe i just got lucky, but then again so did TWO other people in this case.

maxxcool was probably referring to burning the image and plyaing the game from a CD-R disc without the need for emulation. Emulting seems to work but we want real 1:1 back-ups on CD-R discs! :wink:

Originally posted by ISOman
[B]

…and Alcohol 120% v 133.1027 DOES effectively make a working NON-emulated image.[/B]
I don’t think so because emu is required to fool the guard module into believing that the special pressed media (with inconsistent physical characteristics which differ from the Yellow Book standard) is present. The guard module now runs throughout the session rather than just at runtime.

Mounting an image in Alcohol or other virtual CD-ROM is just like running a real CD in a real drive. Standard MMC set instructions are sent back and forth between Virtual CD-ROM and software. If the Alcohol image is virtualised correctly then it is difficult to conclude that no trickery buggery (like emu) is involved to get it working given what we know from, say, VeNoM386.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]I don’t think so because emu is required to fool the guard module into believing that the special pressed media (with inconsistent physical characteristics which differ from the Yellow Book standard) is present. The guard module now runs throughout the session rather than just at runtime.

Mounting an image in Alcohol or other virtual CD-ROM is just like running a real CD in a real drive. Standard MMC set instructions are sent back and forth between Virtual CD-ROM and software. If the Alcohol image is virtualised correctly then it is difficult to conclude that no trickery buggery (like emu) is involved to get it working given what we know from, say, VeNoM386. [/B]

Fair enough, though I may have not used proper verbage to get my thoughts across. What I meant was that no emulation was enabled on any programs to run the image. Also, as I stated before, two other people who couldn’t even use emulation if they wanted to, got it to work on their machines.

So is the emu kind of “built into” the image?

Thanx for the clarification.

Originally posted by ISOman
[B]

So is the emu kind of “built into” the image?

Thanx for the clarification. [/B]
Hi, good to see you back and take no offence. It’s clear that Alcohol only emulates SecuROM after The Thing (the special media runs). Depending on the image build you can or choose not to include the media descriptor information - “Datatype: Securom [sic]*NEW (v4.8x) Data Position Measurement (Precision : High)”

Burning is not the issue. The emu involved is the “Sub-Channel Data Fixed and Emulation”…but dunno what that means for the media descriptor trickery; methinks that emu is built in from reading. Try just plain old SecuROM and see if that works: doubt it.

Alcohol is making 1:1 images of SecuROM 4.8xxx. Ive ran images of Hitman 2 without emulation and they work fine. Alcohol’s virtual drive is a bit dodgy in XP it would seem. Just run via the Daemon tools virtual drive without emulation and the images work everytime.
Ive imaged with Plexies and Lite-On’s and so far DPM fails below 24x. Images from both drives are successful in Daemon Tools.

Originally posted by Bulk
Alcohol is making 1:1 images of SecuROM 4.8xxx.
Thanks Bulk. I can’t test this yet but what options did you use? The only option must be subs on the read - nothing else :wink:

You need the subs + the dpm. No real problem though since there’s a special setting for securom 4.8x that does the settings for you. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by philamber
You need the subs + the dpm.
That’s my point. Like AWS it’s not 1:1 :stuck_out_tongue:

True enough in the sense that it’s not a 1:1 of the cd but it probably does constitute an unmodified copy of the program which would make it legally ok, in my opinion, at least under our law (assuming the other requirements are met).

(Blackcheck’s “twinpeaks” copying method probably falls into the same category; i.e. not a true 1:1 of the cd but, nevertheless, an unmodified copy of the program.)

How would the backup not be 1:1 if you can play it without any cracks or emulation and you don’t modify any of the original data? Looks 1:1 to me.

Originally posted by CCDKing
How would the backup not be 1:1 if you can play it without any cracks or emulation and you don’t modify any of the original data? Looks 1:1 to me.
RAW image + emu is not 1:1 because it requires emulation. I suspect that a RAW image with SecuROM 4.8x is not possible at the moment. Any working image without emu is probably due to a well documented SecuROM bug. If the read was performed again I think the image would be different and may need emu :wink:

I thought that Twinpeaks’ work did not require emulation? On your new site, it says it creates 1:1 backups.