Looks like NEC 2500A is going back - too many read errors

vbimport

After 2 days of testing my new NEC 2500 I discovered that all my DVD-R that were burned (with Pioneer 104) will give read errors.
Pioneer will read them with no errors.

I burned Optodisc -RW and Prodirc +R with NEC and chacked them with DVDinfo. Got read errors. Again Pioneer very few recoverable error on Prodisc.

NEC has 1.06 firmware and was built in January 2004. It may be a good burner but bad reader therefor it’s going back to newegg.com.

Hmm, ok. So despite the fact that the discs work,since a program reports read errors you’re returning the drive?

When trying to copy/rip files from a previosly burned DVD to HD it gives read errors. So it doesn’t work for me.

This is not meant to be pedantic:

Without a program telling us that read errors are occurring, how else could we know this?

Incompatibility between 104 burnt discs and the NEC could occur without there being a problem with the NEC drive, but if it has difficulties reading it’s “own” discs, then that would seem to indicate a problem, don’t you think?

It might be prudent to try other media first, before returning the drive, but this can be an expensive exercise.

I have the Pioneer DVR 104 about 18 months and never had any issues with “standard” media (Ritek, Optodisc, Princo). It burned and read with no errors at all. The only problem is that it’s too slow…

Got NEC and tried to burn to RW (for testing) some past burned discs using different programs like Nero, DVD decreptor and DVD Srink. In many occations I got data read error or cyclic redundancy check errors… It may be a defective drive so I may try another one but I feel that there are some bugs in the firmware.

dlogidur,

You may have the most current version of FW 1.06. As I understand it, there are currently 2 different versions of the SAME FW # out there. You could try getting the “other older” version of the FW and see if that will work. I have a 2500A (rip speed unlocked) and have not had any problems reading disks, regardless of origin. PM if you need further assistance.

Intomed,
Did you try to copy a previosly burned DVD? Can you run DVDinfo and check the error rate on the burned DVD?

I flushed the firmware with the one that is on NEC support site. Gave me no different results. It may be that I have a faulty drive that needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

dlogidur,

I have not tried to burn a previously burned DVD (by a different burner). However, I have played/used DVDs that were burned by another burner without problems.

You could try the FW that I use. I got it from The Dangerous Brothers. It’s the “original/first” V.1.06 FW with the rip speed unlocked. PM me if interested.

dlogidur,

Here is a link to another thread that discusses this it better detail, as well as links to appropriate location to find this FW that I speak of.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86541&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by dlogidur
[B]Intomed,
Did you try to copy a previosly burned DVD? Can you run DVDinfo and check the error rate on the burned DVD?

I flushed the firmware with the one that is on NEC support site. Gave me no different results. It may be that I have a faulty drive that needs to be replaced.

Thanks. [/B]

Many burned DVD’s are set so that they cannot be recopied. DVD X-Copy does this, as do some other programs. With this in mind, I do not think this is a valid test of whether your drive is defective or not. A valid test would be to make a copy of an original.

Many burned DVD’s are set so that they cannot be recopied. DVD X-Copy does this…

You can’t copy with DVDXcopy a DVDXcopy made disc but you can do that with DVD dycriptor or Nero. Regardless, just running tests with Nero scandisk will show read errors on NEC 2500 but all is OK when using same disc in Pioneer 104…

You can get the “old” v1.06 dated december 2003 from my signature. I had problems myself with the “newer” 1.06 dated january (also referrred to as v1.08).

Let’s hope NEC get their acts together and stop this stupid version numbering :bow: