Look's like LG GSA-h21l but it isn't (really strange case)

vbimport

Dear Sir

Yesterday, i buy a new DVD Burner, the box says JAWANtech JW-DR20X. The lable on the burner says TS-H492A (it looks like an Samsung DVD-burner) and… the firmware says HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H21L with firmware version 1.04… (The seller of this product says, that this burner is an LG Lightscribe)

This burner is slow and to improve the burn capacity of this (maybe) LG Burner i tried to flash the HP firmware L702 but the flasher says that there are no GSA-H21L inside my computer ???

In your page is a list of firmwares for this drive and y like to tried the W516 listed there.

You can tell me, if this firmware (W516) are compatible with my (maybe) LG drive and if you like to send it to me by email to [removed by moderator]

Thank you very much for your prompt replay,

sincere
Thilo Ebers (Parcero)

Dear Sir

Yesterday, i buy a new DVD Burner, the box says JAWANtech JW-DR20X. The lable on the burner says TS-H492A (it looks like an Samsung DVD-burner) and… the firmware says HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H21L with firmware version 1.04… (The seller of this product says, that this burner is an LG Lightscribe)

This burner is slow and to improve the burn capacity of this (maybe) LG Burner i tried to flash the HP firmware L702 but the flasher says that there are no GSA-H21L inside my computer ???

In your page is a list of firmwares for this drive and y like to tried the W516 listed there.

You can tell me, if this firmware (W516) are compatible with my (maybe) LG drive and if you like to send it to me by email to [removed by moderator]

Thank you very much for your prompt replay,

sincere

Thilo Ebers (Parcero)

Parcero, welcome to the forums. I’ve removed your email address from your posts. We don’t allow them on the open forum.

HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H21L fits the LG naming protocol, so I’m pretty sure this is an LG drive. The question is, does it need HP firmware or just regular firmware straight from LG? I couldn’t find a listing for this drive number at rpc1.org, and the only one listed at Firmware HQ is the L702 which you have already tried. The drive does not show up at the LG website either.

I’m going to move the thread to our LG subforum, in hopes that someone there will have better help for you.

Thank you Kerry (56)

I found the (probably) reason, why this drive is to slow, it’s because this drive is running in UDMA mode 3 (44.4 mb/s - never see this befor)

Now, should be good, to find an newer firmware (newer then 1.04) to (maybe) improve the DMA mode to 4 or more :iagree: because i don’t belive that this drive is UDMA 3 :disagree:

Thank you very much for your prompt replay

sincerelly :kiss:

Thilo Ebers (Parcero)

Hi,

you are using an 80wire IDE cable?

Firmware 1.04 as reported by you indicates that this drive was not a HP OEM drive. I have no idea if it is flashable to HP OEM firmware L702, and if there is any benefit from that.

[QUOTE=Parcero;2548382]
Yesterday, i buy a new DVD Burner, the box says JAWANtech JW-DR20X. The lable on the burner says TS-H492A (it looks like an Samsung DVD-burner) and… the firmware says HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H21L with firmware version 1.04… [/QUOTE]
And this is extremely strange. Why should there be some TSST Label on a drive made by LG? One thing is for sure: This is NOT a new drive. Perhaps some Frankenstein unit made from an old TSST case with the guts of a fossile LG (possible OEM). :eek: I would return this piece of electronic waste for a refund.

Edit2: Perhaps you can crossflash that H21L to a H22L, see the last post in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f91/hl-dt-st-dvd-rw-gsa-h21n-firmware-212683/
H21L and H21N should be the same apart from the Lightscribe stuff.

Michael

Hola MCIAHEL, thank you for your replay.

Yes, i’m using an 80wired IDE cable and i tried to flash the HP L702 but nothing. One thing is sure, this burner comes with an Samsung lable (it don’t tell Samsung but there is the model name TS-H492A on it)

Y like to tried the story with the corssflash (for my own risk of curse) in case that something goes wrong… :sad:

You even listen about the company name JAWANtech?

Thank you for your prompt replay

sincerelly

Thilo Ebers (Parcero)

Hi,[QUOTE=Parcero;2548406]
Yes, i’m using an 80wired IDE cable and i tried to flash the HP L702 but nothing. One thing is sure, this burner comes with an Samsung lable (it don’t tell Samsung but there is the model name TS-H492A on it)[/quote]As already mentioned, this stinks. I suspect, they buy the garbage from HP etc. and try to assemble something that looks like computer hardware.

Y like to tried the story with the corssflash (for my own risk of curse) in case that something goes wrong… :sad:
I’d rather return this unit to the vendor. Even if the drive works somehow, this is 3 years old and it wasn’t that good anyway.
And nobody knows if this zombie drive has a shortcut somewhere on the PCB due to the case which has never been designed to have LG hardware inside.

You even listen about the company name JAWANtech?
Never heard of. Google suggests this company is operating in South America.

Thank you for your prompt replay
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Thilo Ebers (Parcero)
German origin? :slight_smile:

Michael

Hello Michael

thank you for all your help :iagree: (yes, german :iagree: ;))

The problem is, that the seller is really an incorrect seller and
he don’t like to recive the burner back… :Z but if the burner is broken, the seller have to chage it without costs :a …

So, i have to tried, to flash (crossflash) an other firmware and
i like to belive :doh:that i can do it with the original H20L (maybe H22L) from the LG Webside. Now, the question is,
is there an [B][U]universal flasher[/U][/B] where can flash this kind of firmware without checking the destination drive?

So i can unzip the original firmware to get the BIN files and
then use the [B][U]universal flasher[/U][/B] to “hammer-it :bigsmile:” in the eeprom… :bow::bow::bow:

anyway, i promes you, to get you informed about my experement.

Thank you for you sincere replay

sincerelly

Thilo Ebers (Parcero)

Hi,

look at this post here: http://club.myce.com/f91/can-i-cross-flash-my-gsa-h20n-gsa-h22n-208364/#post1971562
For your experiments, you may grab the [I]H20L [/I]firmware from tdb.rpc1.org instead of stock H22L firmware

Michael