Looks like dvd+ is going to win the format war

I mean most companys seem to be making dvd+ burners these days,i honestly thought dvd- would be the main format thats why i bout the A5.

dvd+r (8 listed)

plextor
memorex
aopen
tdk
ricoh
mitsumi
nec
hp (bet its a rebadge though)

dvd-r (9 listed)

pioneer
toshiba
samsung
teac
sanyo
asus
panasonic
lg (lucky goldstar)
benq (former acer)

dvd-r/+r

sony (their combo drive)
liteon (their drive supposed to be combo)

those are pretty much the top brands of the top of my head;
companies like digital research, pine, cyberdyne use rebadged drives - so im not going to count them…

looks pretty even to me on the distrobution of who is going w/ what format is somewhat even w/ sony and liteon having the dual format drives

unless you are saying that since there was some news today about m$ backing the dvd+r format

±drives are the way forward for consumers, surely.

The Sony drive has been available for 5 months or so now, but it’s still hard to find one in germany. Wherever you look: off stock. It wouldn’t, if a winner was already clear…

too right. sony have made a major business blunder by not satisfying the large demand for ± drives. just imagine hom much profit has gone down the drain … by the time stocks are full again every1 wil be buying the cheap liteon drives (like me :D)

freonchill: Sanyo will release a DVD+R/RW drive (and has no DVD-R/RW drive), ASUS will also release a DVD+R/RW drive, LG will release a DVD±R/RW/-RAM drive (and DVD+R/RW drive?), Benq cooperates with Philips and will probably only produce DVD+R/RW drives from now on (the DVD-R/RW drive Benq has is a rebadged Pioneer A04 which I don’t think is being sold anymore).

NEC and TDK will release DVD±R/RW drives too.

So your list should be more like this:

DVD+R

Aopen
ASUS
Benq
HP
Memorex
Mitsumi
NEC
Philips
Plextor
Ricoh
Sanyo
TDK

DVD-R

ASUS
LG
Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung
TEAC
Toshiba

DVD±R

LG
Lite On
NEC
Sony
TDK

There’s not even time for + or - to become a standard.

The Blue-Ray format is already waiting to be released for the big public.

I think technology evolves too quickly to make smth a standard.

MrSnake

Originally posted by jsl
freonchill: Sanyo will release a DVD+R/RW drive (and has no DVD-R/RW drive), ASUS will also release a DVD+R/RW drive, LG will release a DVD±R/RW/-RAM drive (and DVD+R/RW drive?), Benq cooperates with Philips and will probably only produce DVD+R/RW drives from now on (the DVD-R/RW drive Benq has is a rebadged Pioneer A04 which I don’t think is being sold anymore).

NEC and TDK will release DVD±R/RW drives too.

So your list should be more like this:

DVD+R

Aopen
ASUS
Benq
HP
Memorex
Mitsumi
NEC
Philips
Plextor
Ricoh
Sanyo
TDK

DVD-R

ASUS
LG
Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung
TEAC
Toshiba

DVD±R

LG
Lite On
NEC
Sony
TDK

Samsung also has DVD+RW writers.

Originally posted by MrSnake
[B]There’s not even time for + or - to become a standard.

The Blue-Ray format is already waiting to be released for the big public.

I think technology evolves too quickly to make smth a standard.

MrSnake [/B]

i sincerely hope that is true but sounds very unlikely

There will always be a demand for DVD +/- R for the forseeable future simply because of all the people who use them to make video DVDs for set top DVD players, just as people will still need CD burners if for no other reason than to burn redbook audio CD’s. Blu Ray sounds great for data storage but does Blu Ray have a compatibility mode that allows the discs to play in a DVD players? Also how susceptible are these super-dense optical standards to dust contamination?

i feel that omni format drives like the LG one [www.cdfreaks.com today] will mean there will not be a winner to the dvd format war

LG could be the winner, if they can deliver as many of these drives as customers want

i just read the models off of their respective corporate websites

if they are wrong, then my list was wrong

Originally posted by Metaluna
There will always be a demand for DVD +/- R for the forseeable future simply because of all the people who use them to make video DVDs for set top DVD players, just as people will still need CD burners if for no other reason than to burn redbook audio CD’s. Blu Ray sounds great for data storage but does Blu Ray have a compatibility mode that allows the discs to play in a DVD players? Also how susceptible are these super-dense optical standards to dust contamination?

Can your CD players developed in the 1980s play and run DVD-RW and DVD+R? Why should Blu-ray play in DVD player that was invented many years ago when there is no Blu-ray PC writer yet on the market?

CD-R will continue to exist and most of the leading CD-R manufacturers will continue to produce the media at least till 2005 or 2006. LG, Samsung, and Lite-On have similar plans.

That does not prevent the global optical storage industry from switching to Blu-ray and other next-generation standards that succeed CD and DVD.

Since I have a DVD-R/W drive I don’t use CDR media anymore.
Everybody has a DVDROM or standalone DVD player nowadays.

The only thing I regret is that you can’t record audio book to DVD-R, but that’s a matter of time and hardware I guess(?)

cheers,
MrSnake

Sony said:
The success of another format does not mean the failure of another.

There’s a lot of -R users out there.

Originally posted by Kenshin
That does not prevent the global optical storage industry from switching to Blu-ray and other next-generation standards that succeed CD and DVD.

I’m sure you are right that CD-only and DVD-only writers will die out in short order. My only point is that the optical storage industry will still want to support those formats in their new writers for a long time simply because of the massive installed base of CD-audio and DVD-video players that will be around for decades. Since DVD-video players will still need to be supported, the industry will still need to resolve the +/- issue (even if that resolution is “we will support both”), and can’t really skip over it, IMHO. Whether you write that DVD?R disc in a DVD?R writer, or in a Blu-ray writer that supports it, IMHO the market demand will still be there to make DVD and CD discs to play in the old players.

Interesting enough that new Sony blue ray recorder can read only DVD - R/RW. No support for “+” at all! If plus would have any future latest piece of Sony technology would defenately support it.

Originally posted by grease
Interesting enough that new Sony blue ray recorder can read only DVD - R/RW. No support for “+” at all! If plus would have any future latest piece of Sony technology would defenately support it.

I’d like to strongly discourage any sort of format (+/-) bashing whether one agrees that it is bashing or not.

This forum at CDFreaks officially supports both DVD+RW and DVD-RW format technologies and so do I. Sony DOES support DVD+RW, DVD-RW, and Blu-ray. So does the new site named DVD Writer which I myself run for Korean-language speakers.

Personally, I prefer the DVD+RW standard. That hardly means I have to buy +R and +RW media only. I buy thousands to tens of thousands of DVD-R and DVD-RW media. From CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, Gigastorage, Infodisc, BeAll, SKC, etc. However, the Plus format will have the largest market share in the future.

Originally posted by alexnoe
LG could be the winner, if they can deliver as many of these drives as customers want

I cannot but agree. LG and Samsung are the only manufacturers with firm plans to produce millions of DVD writers every month.