Looking to upgrade my cd rom to dvdrw but I have a problem please help

vbimport

I am looking to upgrade my slimline CD rom to a slimline DVDRW but I have a problem please help:

The problem I have is that the CDROM slots into a metal plate that is attached to the PC, HP DC7600 on the CDROM there is a flat connection about 2inches long that slots straight into the metal plate. therefore, the power lead is connected to the plate and not the CDROM, I have googled the serial and this is the information I get:

LG CRN-8245B CDROM
Height Ultra Slim 12.7mm
Data Transfer Rate Max 3,600KB/s (24x, CAV)
Power Consumption 600mA (Continuous read at max speed)
Access Time 100ms
Buffer Size 128KB
Loading Type Motorized Tray
Interface Type Internal E-IDE / ATAPI
Compatible Formats CD-R/RW, Photo-CD, CD-Extra,
CD-I, Video CD, CD-ROM, CD-DA
Dimensions (W x D x H) 128mm x 129mm x 12.7mm
Weight 170g
O/S Windows XP, 2K

I am completely new to slimline DVDRW’s therefore, I have no idea which one would be compatible with the fixed plate in the PC. With the normal size DVDRW I plug a power lead in and an IDE cable. however, this is completely different can anyone explain to a newbie exactly what I can do to upgrade my PC from a CDROM to a DVDRW.

Before you buy anything, you better contact HP and ask which drives are compatible with their machine, or check their web site if there is anything there.

:clap:Thanks for your extremely informative reply, I wish I could say I hadn’t thought of that, but I had.

After spending 20 minutes talking to a guy who doesn’t speak alot of english I decided to hang up and ask here.

[QUOTE=brambles;2149507]:clap:Thanks for your extremely informative reply, I wish I could say I hadn’t thought of that, but I had.

After spending 20 minutes talking to a guy who doesn’t speak alot of english I decided to hang up and ask here.[/QUOTE]

I understand your frustration:doh: This crazy outsourcing is getting worse all the time.

Other thing would be to ask at same computer shop, if the plugs are all standard on slim drive.
It could be a proprietary arrangement.
Or wait for somebody who has that type of machine to answer.

I’d grab an external dvd drive.

I am gob smacked that nobody got it?

The answer is, [B]all slimline dvdrws will fit,[/B]the part that had the 2 inch connection on it was the housing and all I had to do was to take out the existing CDROM from the housing and replace it with the DVDRW. Then plug it in.