Looking to Replace Optiarc Ad-7561a internal CD/DVD-rom drive. Any suggestions?

I have gone thru all of the so-called “fixes” for repairing my Sony Optiarc AD-7561A drive that came originally with my HP Pavilion DV6775US laptop. I have seen 1000’s of postings with the same issue but nobody seems to get a final solution.

My issue is:

I can read/write/burn any flavor of CD disks but when it comes to DVD’s the drive just sits and spins. If I right click the drive in the Start menu and attempt to open any file on the disk Explorer just opens the drive and requests a new disk. I’ve almost gotten it to the point of working by using both DVD Decypher AND DVDFab 6.X at the same time. I actually CAN read fiels on occasion but if I try to burn onto a DVD+R Litescribe disk I just get an error message telling me the media in the drive is un-writable. The copy/burn process works fine on my roommate’s computer so I know it’s not the software or the source disk nor the blank media.

Anyway, I’m resigned to replacing the drive but can’t seem to find a resonable deal on the same part number. Is there an upgraded drive that someone can recommend?

Here’s the outputs from what I could extract from the drive info:

HP generically lists the drive as: Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : Optiarc
MODEL : DVD RW AD-7561A
REVISION : GH09
VENDOR SPECIFIC : Aug08,2007
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : 30647850
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 24
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 24

Welcome to the forum. :flower:

I would upgrade to the Sony AD-7590A. The 7561 was a rebadged drive made by a company called QSI, and it didn’t perform so well, as you have found out. Sony cut their ties with them.

For anyone else looking to replace theirs, you can find them at NewEgg and other online retailers:

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/slim_dvdrw/ad7590.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118006

I also need to replace this drive on my laptop but don’t see that it is compatible with Windows Vista. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Yes it is :wink:
My AD-7590A works fine with Vista 64 or 7 64.