Looking to make the right connections

vbimport

hello, i just recently brought a toshiba regza 47" lcd and a toshiba a3 hd dvd player. before i put everything together i need a decent receiver. i wanted to know what receivers you guys would reccomend and if its better to connect the hd dvd player through the audio and video inputs through the a3 or the receiver which should have hdmi input. i’m licking my chops to get started watching my 42 hd dvd movies in some hi def!!! than:cool:ks

Yo-

Would strongly suggest looking at the Oynko TX-SR 805

It is a very powerful full featured receiver that will allow you to hook up your A3 via HDMI to the receiver and then to the HD-TV for under $700 (a stoneblown bargain) which will give you the very best picture available - just be sure to use cables that are specifically HDMI 1.3 certified-eh!!

What breed of speakers do you have?

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2046915]Yo-

Would strongly suggest looking at the Oynko TX-SR 805

It is a very powerful full featured receiver that will allow you to hook up your A3 via HDMI to the receiver and then to the HD-TV for under $700 (a stoneblown bargain) which will give you the very best picture available - just be sure to use cables that are specifically HDMI 1.3 certified-eh!![/QUOTE]

hey bigmike your a legend on this forum and after looking at the specs on this fantistic receiver i think im going to take the plunge and get it. i’m searching for the cheapest price.:smiley:

[QUOTE=Bob;2046924]What breed of speakers do you have?[/QUOTE]

i have an old pair of klm av5001’s been very good to me.

[quote=kenli39;2047158]i have an old pair of klm av5001’s been very good to me.[/quote]A pair? so it’s a 2.0 set (2 speakers and 0 subwoofer).

You will need a Receiver and 5.1 or 7.1 speakers to enjoy full high definition audio (you already own a good HDTV 1080p).

BigMike suggestion is good (Onkyo 805) and upgrade your speakers too!

Once you have all the components, connect the A3 HDMI to receiver and from receiver HDMI out to your HDTV HDMI in. This way you will get both hidef video to your HDTV, and hidef audio to the speaker set (also to your HDTV speakers but mute it).

You can use the HDTV speaker if you’re watching cartoons. :wink:
But nowdays most cable HD channels are in Dolby Digital 5.1, at least in the US.

[QUOTE=zaina;2047307]A pair? so it’s a 2.0 set (2 speakers and 0 subwoofer).

You will need a Receiver and 5.1 or 7.1 speakers to enjoy full high definition audio (you already own a good HDTV 1080p).

BigMike suggestion is good (Onkyo 805) and upgrade your speakers too!

Once you have all the components, connect the A3 HDMI to receiver and from receiver HDMI out to your HDTV HDMI in. This way you will get both hidef video to your HDTV, and hidef audio to the speaker set (also to your HDTV speakers but mute it).

You can use the HDTV speaker if you’re watching cartoons. :wink:
But nowdays most cable HD channels are in Dolby Digital 5.1, at least in the US.[/QUOTE]thanks zaina for the input i forgot to mention i do have a subwoofer its an infinity bu-2. what do you reccomend for speakers

Can’t seem to find specs for KLM AV5001 but I found KLH AV5001 http://www.amazon.com/KLH-AV5001-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000021YTH

i forgot to mention i do have a subwoofer its an infinity bu-2. what do you reccomend for speakers
You can use your existing speakers… if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. :wink:

Well, ideally it would be nice to have a matched speaker set but given that you will need to purchase an AVR for $700-800 and shell out some more for speakers, I have to ask, what’s your budget?

My rule about AVR to Speakers ratio is at least 1:3, so if AVR is $800 you need at least a $2400 speaker system, higher is better.

Are you ready for that?

Otherwise you can get a mid-level speakers, buy seperately, get one for center and another 4 satellites/bookshelf/floorstanding, use your existing pair floorstand as front speaker and the subwoofer for a total of 7.1.

Another option is to call crutchfield.com advisor and tell them what you have and that you plan to upgrade the speakers with given budget constraint.

Or wait for other expert members here to respond.

[QUOTE=zaina;2047394]Can’t seem to find specs for KLM AV5001 but I found KLH AV5001 http://www.amazon.com/KLH-AV5001-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000021YTH

You can use your existing speakers… if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. :wink:

Well, ideally it would be nice to have a matched speaker set but given that you will need to purchase an AVR for $700-800 and shell out some more for speakers, I have to ask, what’s your budget?

My rule about AVR to Speakers ratio is at least 1:3, so if AVR is $800 you need at least a $2400 speaker system, higher is better.

Are you ready for that?

Otherwise you can get a mid-level speakers, buy seperately, get one for center and another 4 satellites/bookshelf/floorstanding, use your existing pair floorstand as front speaker and the subwoofer for a total of 7.1.

Another option is to call crutchfield.com advisor and tell them what you have and that you plan to upgrade the speakers with given budget constraint.

Or wait for other expert members here to respond.[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! thats out of my league. right now i can only afford the onkyo 805 which i consider a must have. this will have to do for now. thanks zania for your input outstanding!!!

[QUOTE=kenli39;2047157]hey bigmike your a legend on this forum and after looking at the specs on this fantistic receiver i think im going to take the plunge and get it. i’m searching for the cheapest price.:D[/QUOTE]

Yo kenli39-

Found ya a new one from authorized dealer for $630 + $38 shipping here:

This is one kick@$$ price for one kick@$$ receiver-eh!! :iagree:

Yo kenli39-

BTW - the Onkyo TX-SR 805 is also set up to work with your Toshiba ‘Regza’ HD-TV -eh!!

(also - I own one of these marvels and can seriously say that it blows the wings offa my old Denon 3802 - and that is a claim that I never thought I could make-eh)

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2047787]Yo kenli39-

BTW - the Onkyo TX-SR 805 is also set up to work with your Toshiba ‘Regza’ HD-TV -eh!! (also - I own one of these marvels and can seriously say that it blows the wings offa my old Denon 3802 - and that is a claim that I never thought I could make-eh)[/QUOTE]hey big mike i just got a 20.00 coupon off 200.00 electronics coupon form amazon in an email that has pushed me over the edge i’m going to purchase it today you’ve convinced me i NEED that receiver!!!:eek:

[QUOTE=kenli39;2047825]hey big mike i just got a 20.00 coupon off 200.00 electronics coupon form amazon in an email that has pushed me over the edge i’m going to purchase it today you’ve convinced me i NEED that receiver!!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yo kenli39-

Y’all just made one of the [B][I][U]best[/U][/I][/B] AV decisions of your life IMO-eh!! :iagree: :iagree: :clap: :clap:

My sister just recieved these [U]speakers[/U] there pretty good speakers. They do take awhile to warm up though but well worth it. You can always upgrade later on.

[QUOTE=hobo10;2048174]My sister just recieved these [U]speakers[/U] there pretty good speakers. They do take awhile to warm up though but well worth it. You can always upgrade later on.[/QUOTE] hobo10 those speakers are soooooo nice i already added this page to my favorites. i’m going to start working plenty of overtime at work to start paying my hefty over budget credit card bill. hey this what i want i don’t ask for much just my own movie theatre. i’m waiting on my onkyo 805 confirmation from amazon.:bow: