Looking to buy a nec burner

Hi everyone,

I have heard some good comments on the nec burners, so i m looking to buy a nec burner. The burner would be used to copy my legally bought games. Except from label flash, is there any advantage having a nec burner that other brands don t have? And wich burner would you advice me?

Greets

There’s no advantage to NEC over other brands, and you may well encounter the disadvantage may others have which is inability to read DVD-R media which is detailed at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/; more specifically it burns blank DVD-R very well but may fail to read burned DVD-R. I advise choosing another brand which I did to replace my problematic NEC 3520 with Pioneer 111D and would choose a 112D or 115D if I need another burner now because I felt (and still do) that Pioneer had best overall burn quality with fewest problems posted in forums. I’ve read good comments on Samsung and LG, but I decided Pioneer was best choice IMO.

The big advantage of the current 72xx series is. they burn with better quality than any other drive at the moment and they are fast, in fact the fastest at 16x and 18x.

As for reading problems with the 72xx series. Absolutely none reported yet and i would not expect this to change.

The 72xx series drives are not just an update of an old drive. They are completely new, including a new upper deck assembly.

Never had any kind of -R reading with any of my nec drives, from 3500/3520/4571/7173/7200, so if someone is interesting in getting a new nec drive, then
the answer is simple, go for the 7200 or 7203, i dont know how the drive does with games copy protection, but sure kicks ass when it burns dvd’s.

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the replies, they are greatly appriciated. Has any of these 2 drives labelflash? And is someone out there that knows about game copy capabilities of one of these 2 drives?

@bevills1: I heard about the pioneer burners too, they seem to be very good. Are they a lot more expensive then the nec s or not?

Greets

The 7203 has labelflash.
Here in Greece there is no big difference in price, the Pioneer is 1 or 2 euro’s more expensive.

Don’t take the trouble,

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/index9.html

What trouble?

I have both 7203S and 7200S working and a LG 20NS10.
I think the Necs with 1.05 are the best drives I have ever had.
I always liked LG’s but those changed that. I hope they will keep the good job with BD’s as well.
Previous Necs were a disappointment for me.

Thanks everybody for the replies again. No one who knows how it performce in game copying?

Greets

Much the same as the Pioneer drives with NEC chipsets (and pretty much everything else these days unfortunately) - pretty average.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Thanks for the reply terminalvelocd. Are there burners more fitting that job then? Or are they really all about the same?

Greets

Nice collection burners btw :smiley:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2032396]The big advantage of the current 72xx series is. they burn with better quality than any other drive at the moment and they are fast, in fact the fastest at 16x and 18x.

As for reading problems with the 72xx series. Absolutely none reported yet and i would not expect this to change.

The 72xx series drives are not just an update of an old drive. They are completely new, including a new upper deck assembly.[/QUOTE]

Yeahl, I live in the USA & I justb received mine today from the UK.  :bigsmile:  I absoutely see the burn quality upgrade from the 7170. I strat swapped MKM001 for MKM003 just like my 7170 & the 7200 produces none of the pif spikes burning MKM001@8x like the 7170 did.  :) This drive can really handle the high speeds & an 18x burn is faster than anyone of my otherv 18x burners. I don't have any 20x media to test 20x  :sad:

Oh well I paid more for shipping than I did for the drive but I’m thinking about orderong another one for my slave drive where my 7170 resides and put it in my 1394 external. Here is the link to the drive that will ship to Usa

BTW: http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4997&cat=644&page=1

I’m looking for a new burner too, I had problems with write quality with my NEC 7170S, but if it’s true what Dee-27 says, I’ll consider NEC again.

I have made a couple of scans with my NEC 4550 with Nero DiscSpeed, currently the only one capable of scanning:

7170S Verbatim MCC004 burned at 16x

Plextor PX-810SA (was overpriced, didn’t knew it was a rebadged Pioneer DVR-212 at that time) Verbatim MCC004 burned at 16x

I think Plextor write quality is very good, actually that scan above is my best one, I compared it to NEC 3500/4550 and LG GSA-H50N and they were all worse. But I want to replace it, because it makes such loud seek noise, it’s unbearable.
So I’m looking at SAMSUNG S203D and Optiarc 7203S. I just want a good, quiet and cheap burner, I hope I’m not asking for too much. Actually the price doesn’t matter, but I sure ain’t buying another of these rebadged Plextors.

It’s good to learn there have been no -R read problems for 72xx models according to Dee-27 post, and I hope that read problem afflicting so many NEC drives might finally be fixed. Has anybody who had problems with older NEC models reported success with a 72xx model, i.e. obtained 72xx model and not had the -R read problem?