Looking to buy a GREAT CDrom drive... my ASUS cdrom drive SUCKS BALLZ!

can anyone direct me as to what type of cdrom drive is a good purchase, i just bought a brand new asus cdrom (read only) drive and it wont even read and old psx disc correctly. :frowning:

so now i’m looking to buy another new cdrom reader and figured with the wealth of knowledge on this mb that someone could help me decide which to get.

please help.
:confused:
thanks

that’s pretty strange coz asus rarely fails. you can try lite-on cd roms, i heard they’re pretty good. but then again, for an extra 20 (australian) dollars i could get a decent dvd-rom drive (lite-on), so you might want to think of getting a dvd-rom drive instead.

If you want a CD-ROM that is very good in reading even scratched discs or discs with other errors, choose a drive from TEAC :bigsmile:

Okay, TEAC drives are a little bit more expensive (try to get a TEAC 40x), but their quality is outstanding in comparison to a lot of other (cheaper) drives :smiley:

cool, thanks for the tip. it’s not that my old psx games were scratched though. as a matter of fact the were perfect, but the dern asus drive i just bought won’t read them without read errors. i thought the asus drives were the best when i bought one, now i know was wrong. i look into the teac drives and get the lowdown.
:slight_smile:

I don’t khow about Psx disks, but could not be that the read erros are disk protection as pc games disks have? I owned the 52x Asus cd-rom and it was very good. Finally, if want to buy something by a dvd, there is no point buying a cd-rom.

Well if you really want a cdrom rather than a dvdrom, though I can’t imagine why given that the dvd costs very little more, I’d go for the mitsubishi diamond data 52x which not only is a very good cdrom but also happens to be a superb sub-code reader.

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]If you want a CD-ROM that is very good in reading even scratched discs or discs with other errors, choose a drive from TEAC :bigsmile:

Okay, TEAC drives are a little bit more expensive (try to get a TEAC 40x), but their quality is outstanding in comparison to a lot of other (cheaper) drives :smiley: [/B]

I too have had great success with TEAC, but be warned, the audio extraction speeds are sometimes very low (4x on the teac 40x that I had)