Looking for writeable DVD recommendation

vbimport

Sorry if this question gets asked 100 times, I just get kind of overwhelmed by all the information here. I’m looking to buy a new spindle of writeable DVDs (+ or -) with my main concern being disc longevity and price. Speed ratings don’t matter to me, I’m patient. So if anyone has any cheap-but-good disc recommendations, I’d love to hear it. Thanks.

My favourite media is Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004), made in Taiwan or India.

You don’t say where you’re located, but if you’re in the UK, other brands like Maxell or HP can cost the same as Verbatim anyway.

Having said that, 16x HP -R (CMC MAG. AM3) is also a good choice IMO (burned at 8x) if you can get those cheaper.

:iagree: Yea…I agree
Verbatim DVD+R offer 4.7GB or 120 Minutes of write-once storage capacity, superior recording quality, and compatibility with 1X to 16X DVD+R writers . Verbatim’s 16X cutting edge technology allows users to record a complete 4.7GB/120Min disc in approximately 5 minutes. Recognized as the choice for professional users, Verbatim DVD+R offers the optimal “Advanced Azo” recording dye, which provides the highest level or read/write performance, reliability, and archival life.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R (media code MCC004, by Mitsubishi) is currently one of the best 16x DVD+R media in the market, in my opinion…and this is the best media I have come across at the 16x speed:D

Thanks for the advice. So I’m guessing this is what I’d want? (I’m in the U.S.):

http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com/verbatim-16x-dvd-plus-r-47gb-branded.html

Yep, those are the ones :iagree: - but have you tried www.rima.com to see if it’s cheaper there?

If you are going to buy your media online, you might also consider the Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks at rima.com or supermediastore.com

Those TY are my favorite media, though Verbatim 16x +R is second.

Thanks for the additional vendor suggestions, I’ll check those out.

Kerry56: Any particular reason you prefer the TY over the Verbatim’s?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2032803]My favourite media is Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004), made in Taiwan or India.[/QUOTE] Ya don’t say? JK:D

Best Buy has Verbatims on sale like every other month or so, $12.99 for 50 pack of DVD+R.

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2033004]Ya don’t say? JK:D[/QUOTE]

Nah, I was kidding, it’s Ritek G05 :wink:

Edit: I guess I’d better add that was a joke for any new folks…LOL :wink:

[quote=chilledinsanity;2032969]
Kerry56: Any particular reason you prefer the TY over the Verbatim’s?[/quote]

I’ve always had good luck with the TY 8x +R disks. Good compatibility across a wide number of drives and players. And they are a good choice for older burners that may not have firmware updates for newer media.

I’ve also had a little less variance with TY than Verbatim. My latest cakebox of Verbatim is a relatively poor batch…these were made by Prodisc and most of my previous Verbatim were CMC made disks. Of course they still burn well and playback just fine, they just show more initial PIE and PIF than most of my earlier disks.

Doesn’t mean I won’t buy Verbatim again…in fact I have another tub sitting in the wings. These are CMC made, with a PAPA hub code, so I have higher hopes for them.

By the way, the 16x TY isn’t held in as high esteem around here. I haven’t tried them myself, but the consensus of opinion is that if you are buying 16x media you are better off getting Verbatim.