Looking for usb drive that can be accessed via wifi

vbimport

looking for any type of usb stick or drive that can be accessed via wifi while it is pluged into a usb slot and is being used as usb memory. i know there is a new usb memory stick that can be accessed via wifi but only when its not plugged into usb port called AIRSTASH. i need it pluged into usb port and accessible thru usb port and wifi at same time…

thanks

Like this?: http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/ug_goflex_satellite.pdf

page 18 says does not broadcast while connected to a computer

my bad. didn’t read the whole thing.

The USB stick is connected to a computer?
Then simply share the USB device over network and you are set. :cool:

Michael

Or buy a cheap wifi router with usb support. Or build a pirate box

Do you have an Android phone with Wi-Fi support?

If so, here’s another option:

[ol]
[li]Get a large MicroSD card for the phone, some support up to 32GB.[/li][li]Install the App SwiFTP server (free) and configure a username & password.[/li][li]Plug in your phone with its USB cable and enable Media Transfer Mode.[/li][li]Ensure Wi-Fi on the phone is enabled and start the SwiFTP server app[/li][li]To access via Wi-Fi, enter the FTP address in the Windows Explorer location field.[/li][li]Enter the username & password you provided and you’re in.[/li][/ol]

If all goes well, you can transfer files/folders to the phone via USB on the PC it’s connected to as well as transfer files/folders with the phone via Wi-Fi from any other computer.

If you need to map as a drive-letter over Wi-Fi, get NetDrive (also free).

The following shows an example of this working on my computer, i.e. left Window open directly from USB and the right Window open over the Wi-Fi share. When I added “A Test Picture.mp4” to the left window, it automatically appeared on the Wi-Fi path:

Alternatively if you don’t want to use your phone (or is unsuitable), pick up a cheap/second hand Android Wi-Fi enabled phone with a MicroSD slot. Despite “The Internet” appearing in the location bar, this does not depend on the Internet and will work without Internet access.

See also mciahel’s suggestion above.

Michael’s solution is probably most relevant although I’d add that many routers and NAS units are able to share USB devices wirelessly with very little or even no configuration.

There are also SD memory cards with built in Wi-Fi (such as ‘Eye-Fi’) which are designed primarily to save wear and tear on the device they’re inserted in (a camera for example).

You could however insert one of these into a USB memory card reader and effectively have a wirelessly accessible USB memory stick.

I suppose it depends on exactly what the purpose of this is as to what is the best solution for the OP.

[B]Wombler[/B]

ok so far al the suggestions have been great but still not able to do what i want…so i will explain with a bit more detail.

useing a HASS cnc mill have to load the text code files to run machine thru an existing USB port. currently swapping usb mem stick from mill to laptopand back to mill again for each new code or code correction. would like SOMETHING___ANYTHING that could be left plugged into mill usb port and accessed via wifi or bluetooth from laptop near by. no software can be installed onto mill only normal usb access. but if nessassary software can be installed on laptop to access what ever is plugged into mill usb.

[QUOTE=kookuss;2630610]ok so far al the suggestions have been great but still not able to do what i want…so i will explain with a bit more detail.

useing a HASS cnc mill have to load the text code files to run machine thru an existing USB port. currently swapping usb mem stick from mill to laptopand back to mill again for each new code or code correction. would like SOMETHING___ANYTHING that could be left plugged into mill usb port and accessed via wifi or bluetooth from laptop near by. no software can be installed onto mill only normal usb access. but if nessassary software can be installed on laptop to access what ever is plugged into mill usb.[/QUOTE]

I see. You want the content on the usb device changed, but you don’t want to plug it out, into a laptop, make the changes and replug it again.

This would indeed require a usb device that can be accessed remotely while still being mounted by the cnc mill.

I don’t think it will ever work. I doubt if your cnc mill is compatible with re-reading and re-opening files that are modfied on the fly. There are a lot of possibilities of data corruption.

Depending on the internal os of the cnc mill, this may be an option.

Please me know if you find a solution. We have the same problem.

[B]e-mail removed - not looking for any Medical Foot, Leg & Arm Compression Devices for Lymphedema.[/B]
Thanks!