Looking for the best of the inexpensive DVD printers

vbimport

I asked this in the hardware forum and then did a google search to discover it should be in this forum.

I have used the HP Photosmart 5200 in the past and found it to be great quality but a pain in the neck to get started with the software. I am in the market for a cheaper printer, including generic ink, that won’t break the bank.

I have been reading about the Pixma Ip or something that you need an accessory for it to work? Any suggestions or ideas? Is the HP Photosmart the best way to go or the Canon Pixma? Or another brand?
I am in Canada but can easily make it to the USA for a purchase.

Thanks

Of the class of printer you seek, the MP610 is one of the last available.
This is the lowest price that I have seen :
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11252759&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Tray F :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-MX850-iP4500-MP610-MP960-MP970-CD-Printer-Tray-F-_W0QQitemZ350141484493QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081217?IMSfp=TL081217138007r28582

Thanks for that. Why doesn’t the canon ship with the CD tray? I saw on Ebay that the CD tray fits a lot more of the Pixma, so why does the MP610 seem like the best (if you don’t mind me asking).

[QUOTE=netrate;2181459]Thanks for that. Why doesn’t the canon ship with the CD tray (to North America)?[/QUOTE]
From what I gather, Philips Electronics own rights to the technology used in inkjet disk printing.
Canon chooses not to pay royalties to Philips for units sold in North America, so the disk printing feature is not activated.
Why only North America, I don’t know.

I saw on Ebay that the CD tray fits a lot more of the Pixma, so why does the MP610 seem like the best (if you don’t mind me asking).

I recommend the MP610 for capability, but also [B]availability[/B]. It is one of the last of the preferred models that is not sold out. iP4500 would have been my non-AIO recommendation, but they are all gone, save for eBay.
Canon has introduced a new generation of printers with some “undesirable” features.
See here :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/canon-cli-8-printers-phasing-out-252891/

Thanks for clearing that up. That is great.

Since you’re in Canada, you may still find an IP4500 if you don’t want an AIO model. Don’t they come with disc printing enabled in CA? I thought they did. Anyhow, if not online you may find one lurking on a store shelf.

[QUOTE=CDan;2181525]Since you’re in Canada, you may still find an IP4500 if you don’t want an AIO model. Don’t they come with disc printing enabled in CA? I thought they did. Anyhow, if not online you may find one lurking on a store shelf.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it’s been reported that Staples stores in Canada have had some door-buster prices on iP4500.
Might be too late, but worth a check.

They have the iP4600, but I am not sure about that one. I am going to a couple of local stores and see what they have. Is the iP4500 the last of the models you would recommend? It is about $99.00 for the iP4600…

Hey, I found one!
How do I know if it is CD enabled? I guess I will buy it and leave it unopened and wait for a response and take it back if it doesn’t.

[QUOTE=netrate;2181644]Hey, I found one!
How do I know if it is CD enabled? I guess I will buy it and leave it unopened and wait for a response and take it back if it doesn’t.[/QUOTE]

If it comes with a disc tray and a copy of “CD-LabelPrint” software.
Yes, the IP4500 is the last model with large ink tanks and compatible inks available. Do not take it back for any reason, it’s very easy to enable disc printing.

LOL, I bought a spare IP4500 a while back to save for when this one dies.

I got it. They have another one in the store somewhere that I am going to buy as well as soon as they find it. I can’t believe it. Great price too. Thanks for the heads up!

[QUOTE=netrate;2181638]They have the iP4600, but I am not sure about that one. I am going to a couple of local stores and see what they have. Is the iP4500 the last of the models you would recommend? It is about $99.00 for the iP4600…[/QUOTE]
Re-read post #4 if you are not sure :wink:
Hint:
Make sure it says iP4500 on the box :iagree:

I managed to find a second 4500 - they were on clearance at $39.99. They both have the CD printer tray. A great deal, thanks for the heads up on it.

[QUOTE=netrate;2182663]I managed to find a second 4500 - they were on clearance at $39.99. They both have the CD printer tray. A great deal, thanks for the heads up on it.[/QUOTE]

A most excellent score. :iagree: The ink tanks that come with them are worth more than that. Treasure that spare IP4500, you can prolly sell it in a year for $400. But I’d keep it.

Would the iP3500 be any good?

[QUOTE=SLM crew chief;2184271]Would the iP3500 be any good?[/QUOTE]
Yes, iP3500 is (was) probably the best in its *class.
CLI-8 4 tank system, it is.

It’s not as well-built as iP4500 and does not print disks (AFAIK), but it is quite capable for its price-point.
A friend bought one of these at Frys for $14.99 after rebate, list was $79.99 I believe.
Some folks got them for free after rebate from Frys during another promotion.
I guess the intent was to get us to buy more genuine Canon inks for these freebie printers :bigsmile:
The tanks are just too easy to refill :cool:

*class
Competitor’s printers in this price-point would typically sport inferior tri-color cartridges as opposed to separate Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black. And pigment-based Black to boot (a plus for crisp text).

Thank for the reply. I want one to do cd/dvd printing and thought the 3500 did when I posted. It looks like a used 4500 off eBay would be the only option sans paying well over $100.00 bucks for a new one, and only found a couple in stock.

Between the 4500 and the 610 (if money was no concern) which would be better? I might have found a 4500 at a somewhat decent price and the 610’s are pretty cheap.

I have a Canon i560 and way too much ink to bail on the printer just to spend a ton of cash to print right on disks.

If I wanted the printer primarily for disk-printing, I would go for the iP4500.
I would go for the MP610 if I needed a scanner, also.
MP610 takes up more desk space, too.
Same print engine in each.

Thanks!

MP610 $59.99 at Frys this weekend.