Looking for Surround Sound Receiver with phono input

vbimport

I’m looking for a relatively inexpensive receiver for my basement TV. It has to have the latest surround sound decoders, but I also want to be able to connect a turntable to it.

It seems that all I can find are purely audio receivers or purely home theater receivers.

Does anyone make a $300 receiver that will do both 5.1 and accept a turntable input?

It doesn’t have to have HDMI inputs, but it wouldn’t hurt.

I suppose that I could get one that has CD inputs and get an external phono preamp, but I’d rather have it all self-contained.

Thanks.

Brilliant! Sounds perfect. Thanks so much!

Glad I could help. I have to say I was surprised at how many features that AV receiver has for $300.

All of the Onkyo older 5.1 and 7.1 I’ve had still included a phono input. Haven’t researched their newest top dog units but have always been happy with the sound a reliability of my 777 and my newer 898.

I have a couple of older THX certified Onkyo AV receivers and they still work well. Lately I have switched to Denon receivers as they seem to sound a little better to my ear. The new receivers with Internet access are nice and offer a good bit of funtionality to these devices.

Yep, they can do audio streaming and get firmware updates for the more advanced ones. Sounds like Onkyo got bought out and isn’t making the robust wide range amps like they used too.
When I bought my 777 I almost bought a Demon, sounded great but didn’t support all the new sound formats so I went back and got the 777.
Then I wanted 7.1 and my friend had the 898 he bough new and just hung onto after he’d upgraded a few times. He sold it to me for 75 bucks and I sold my old one for the same.
I really don’t need the net or streaming as my media players cover that nicely if I want it.
The old onkyos delivered their rated power driving all channels at 20-20, don’t think the new ones do.

I have a Denon X2000 as my main AV receiver in the family room. The most useful internet related feature to me is the ability to control it by an app on my phone. I also have apps for the HDTV and cable box so I can control everything I need from the phone. Also, the internet radio feature is really nice. I can search for stations by geographic location, music type etc. and signal strength is never an issue.

I also have a 777 that used to be my main AV receiver. I will say that the sound quality for DD, DTS, and the HD encodings have improved since the 777 was released. Plus, having DD+ is nice as this allows multichannel digital audio to be played through the Netflix app on Windows 8.1 through the HTPC. Previously I had to settle for stereo when streaming Netflix on a PC. Having HDMI connections is nice too as it eliminates a lot of wires.

Well glad to see we both like the same gear:bigsmile: I had a Sony strd 2070 before it and it had just a amazing sounding main amp, the surround amps not so much.
I upgraded to the 777 when DTS and all that came out and spent quite a while critically listening to Every good 5.1 receiver I could, finally decided on the Onkyo and paid 750 cash for it, my friend bought one too.
He kept upgrading over the years, I staid put.
I’d love to get one that sounds as nice and has bunch of HDMI inputs. Your right sure cuts down on the wire clutter and good cables are cheap.
Did you know the 777 actually has a cooling fan? It only comes on when the amps heat up when pushed hard. I ran some bass test tones through mine and heard a funny whooshing noise and spotted it. Was a 80mm by the heatsinks, turned it down and fan slowed down then stopped. I had no clue and had owned over 10 years at that point.

I learned a lesson buying hifi gear in the 1990s. I paid stupid money for a new Sony ES setup and in no time it was obsolete. Now I scan Craigslist when I want to upgrade audio receivers. I picked up the X2000 for $200 in perfect condition. I also got the 777 off craigslist for $75. A recently divorced woman was selling off her ex husband’s home theater equipment for cheap! In our area, craigslist is like shopping at a super Wal-Mart at steeply discounted prices.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2751066]Yep, they can do audio streaming and get firmware updates for the more advanced ones. [B]Sounds like Onkyo got bought out and isn’t making the robust wide range amps like they used too.[/B]
When I bought my 777 I almost bought a Demon, sounded great but didn’t support all the new sound formats so I went back and got the 777.
Then I wanted 7.1 and my friend had the 898 he bough new and just hung onto after he’d upgraded a few times. He sold it to me for 75 bucks and I sold my old one for the same.
I really don’t need the net or streaming as my media players cover that nicely if I want it.
The old onkyo’s delivered their rated power driving all channels at 20-20, don’t think the new ones do.[/QUOTE]

Actually Onkyo bought out Pioneer A/V division.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=Dartman;2751074]Well glad to see we both like the same gear:bigsmile: I had a Sony strd 2070 before it and it had just a amazing sounding main amp, the surround amps not so much.
I upgraded to the 777 when DTS and all that came out and spent quite a while critically listening to Every good 5.1 receiver I could, finally decided on the Onkyo and paid 750 cash for it, my friend bought one too.
He kept upgrading over the years, I staid put.
I’d love to get one that sounds as nice and has bunch of HDMI inputs. Your right sure cuts down on the wire clutter and good cables are cheap.
Did you know the 777 actually has a cooling fan? It only comes on when the amps heat up when pushed hard. I ran some bass test tones through mine and heard a funny whooshing noise and spotted it. Was a 80mm by the heatsinks, turned it down and fan slowed down then stopped. I had no clue and had owned over 10 years at that point.[/QUOTE]

My Onkyo TX-NR818 has two.

:cool::cool:

Yep, love Craig’s list for deals, also eBay for buy it now bargains if I don’t mind waiting or it’s something odball.
Hopefully Onkyo will bring Pioneers geer up in features and quality as they play the it puts out a Lotta watts at 1khz game, when it drops 10 or 20 at the extremes.
They have been making some well liked gear with lots of features for years though, and my first real receiver was a sx-650 that put out a whopping 35 watts a channel.
I left it on 24/7 and all the lights burned out but I still have it and it works.

I still have an SX-450 .
It’s not in regular use but I used it just a couple of weeks ago to plug an electric guitar into. The small regular guitar amp was very weak & I wanted to check if it was the guitar amp or guitar. Since the SX-450 has a microphone jack (works for a guitar jack too) .

The guitar sounded fine so does the new guitar amp I ordered.
The problem component now is the one on the other end of the guitar pick. :slight_smile: