Looking for some help finding a deal with building a new system

vbimport

Hey Guys! New poster here! Need some help putting together a new system for me. I am maybe one step above novice so bare with me and PLEASE ask questions! I am really trying to learn so you know I’ll be bringing the questions. :iagree:

My current system:
Dell 4400
1.6 Processor
1gb ram
80gb hd
64mb geforce 3 (i know… I told you I need a new system!)

I will be using my system to download movies and songs. It is important that I can connect the tower to my HDTV. I will also be using it for lite gaming (i.e. half life 2 and CS: Source). I have a 5 piece speaker set as well as a sub that has 2 12" speakers.

As a side note, one speak stopped working and later my sound card (turtle beach santa cruz) stopped working so I’m not sure if the speak is truly broken… Other then this speaker set that I got with the dell 4400, I do not have a home audio setup. However, I’d like to make sure that this new computer will be able to handle one if I get something in the near future.

I would not mind piecing a system together through newegg or whatnot. However it seems when I get just about everything, I am at the same price if not even a little more expensive then what I have below… Also, could I rip out the power system of my current dell 4400 and use it in this new system? Thanks for any input!

So far I have pieced this system together using cyberpowerpc.com:
CASE: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) Xion III Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case with Side Window (BLACK COLOR)
CPU: AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 4000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, IEEE1394, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
TOTAL: $700 Shipped

I just found this setup through buy.com. And with this great deal on an 8800 512mb I can just swap the stock card out and maybe still come ahead?

Link to card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3538922&Sku=E145-8832

So it would be $160 for the card and $400 for the rest. $560 a good deal? If you cant tell, I am a little excited… :slight_smile:

HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n Desktop PC - Product SpecificationsProduct number GN567AAAthlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+ 2.6 GHz (65W)2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)Socket AM2Chipset GeForce 6150SE nForce 430Motherboard Manufacturer: AsusMotherboard Name: M2N61-ARHP/Compaq motherboard name: Acacia-GL6EMemory Memory Installed 2 GB Maximum allowed 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) Speed supported PC2-5300 MB/sec Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM Hard drive 400 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)7200 rpm16X DVD()R/RW 12X RAM ()R DL LightScribe SATA drive DVD-RAM Up to 12X DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 8X DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X DVD ROM Read Up to 16X CD-R Write Once Up to 40X CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X CD-ROM Read Up to 40X Wireless Wireless LAN 802.11 b/gVideo Graphics Integrated graphicsTelevision TV tuner cardSound/Audio High Definition 6-channel audioALC 888S chipset Audio (line in, line out, microphone) One Each Expansion slots Slot type Quantity PCI One (None available) PCI Express x16 One (One available)

Do a little research, learn how to put it together yourself and then order from newegg.com and you’ll save a good deal.

Also, do not get the slimline. Very little room for expansion.

As already mentioned order your computer components from Newegg.com and build it yourself. Get a regular mid-tower case, scythe case fans, buy 2 sata hard drives (1 hd for your operating system a 80gb - 120gb would be sufficient then a 2nd hd with the capacity of 320gb - 500gb to store video, music and pictures), 2 sata dvd burners, a good quality power supply like thermaltake or seasonic or corsair, 2gb of ddr2 pc6400 Corsair or Crucial Ballistic Ram, and nvidia 8400 or 8500 video card with hdcp. I’d opt for a Intel based processor like the low end c2d processors and a Gigabyte motherboard to go with it. :wink:

vennardk, since your not a heavy gamer and want to connect your pc to your HDTV, then definitly go with an AMD 780G motherboard, they have HD decoding power built in and can also play a lot of games, all without buying a video card. If you fell you want more power later on you can easily add the latest card.
Gigabyte 780G motherboard the best 780G board, with the highest quality onboard audio available right now.
AMD 4400+ CPU 2.3GHz
2GB ram if you plan on running vista, then get 4 gigs, a 2x2GB ram kit.
Seasonic 430watt PSU more than enough power for what your doing, also top quality.
Coolermaster case
Pioneer sata dvd burner
Western digital 500Gb HDD

For under 500 bucks.

If you are going to be playing a lot of HD video, I would suggest looking at the 8500/8600 only. The 8400/8800’s do not support full hardware decoding with h.264 (used with a lot of HD video). It can take a lot of the load off your cpu with certain hard to play video and a compatible player. Some of the ati cards do a better job with HD (but with them you have to be careful about what model too) but since you do gaming, the nvidia cards might be better for both purposes. If you are a serious gamer then it might be worth getting the 8800, but if you go that route, make sure you get a very fast processor (since the cpu will have to be doing the decoding work instead of the video card). If the 8600 is good enough for your gaming usage, get it as it will outperform an 8800 with HD video.

What is the difference between 8600GT and 8600GTS?

[QUOTE=fairplay;2042927]What is the difference between 8600GT and 8600GTS?[/QUOTE]

The GTS has higher Core and Memory clocks making it faster, not sure what else beyond that.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2042947]The GTS has higher Core and Memory clocks making it faster, not sure what else beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Then you need a stronger power supply.

[QUOTE=fairplay;2042957]Thanks, Then you need a stronger power supply.[/QUOTE]

Read and get all information you need from here:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/WMPG/article.php/3740711

I bought my whole system with rebates from newegg, plus got top rated parts.

I’m already getting my rebates back.

Check deal sites like Slickdeals, and Fatwallet for deals on parts

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;2042693]As already mentioned order your computer components from Newegg.com and build it yourself. Get a regular mid-tower case, scythe case fans, buy 2 sata hard drives (1 hd for your operating system a 80gb - 120gb would be sufficient then a 2nd hd with the capacity of 320gb - 500gb to store video, music and pictures), 2 sata dvd burners, a good quality power supply like thermaltake or seasonic or corsair, 2gb of ddr2 pc6400 Corsair or Crucial Ballistic Ram, and nvidia 8400 or 8500 video card with hdcp. I’d opt for a Intel based processor like the low end c2d processors and a Gigabyte motherboard to go with it. ;)[/QUOTE]

you just described what i have on my wishlist at newegg for an upcoming computer except its not a low en c2d :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2044885]you just described what i have on my wishlist at newegg for an upcoming computer except its not a low en c2d :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I mentioned low end c2d because there’s always room to get a faster processor down the road. :wink:

Remember also to match vidieo card with cpu.

I just got an 8800GT Overclocked version (for testing only) and was not getting that great of scores in 3dmark 05 and 06 (compared with toms hardware video charts and reviews).

My E6400 C2d was bottlenecking the video card…when I overclocked cpu to E6600 speeds I got pretty much what I was supposed to be getting on benchmarks–minus about 10% as I can not over clock any more then I already am (will not boot…even though temps are not that bad… My Asrock 775Dual-VSTA also does not allow full speed on pci-express (bummer)…but all around…that 8800GT o/c is a nice card…(but very long…glad I have a big case.

I ordered an EVGA 8800GT (non-overclocked…as I can overclock myself if needed)…any way from newegg…sale and rebate…$168 total with shipping and tax after rebate of $30. It should be good for next build which I hope will be around Christmas. The EVGA has lifetime warranty…I could have went cheaper but saving $10-$20 on off brand…or saving $30-$40 on a 8800gs or 9600gt did not seem worth it.

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2044885]you just described what i have on my wishlist at newegg for an upcoming computer except its not a low en c2d :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
What processor is on your list?

[QUOTE=VirgUSA;2049183]What processor is on your list?[/QUOTE]

its just a c2d 6600…i might change it when i decide to order it all…if there are good deals on other c2d’s :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response. I am in need of a new computer and was thinking about building my own. Probably the hardest part of it for me would be choosing the correct parts that work well together. All I have done in this field is replacing some DVD drives, adding memory and such.

Maybe won’t be too hard?

[QUOTE=VirgUSA;2049718]Thanks for the response. I am in need of a new computer and was thinking about building my own. Probably the hardest part of it for me would be choosing the correct parts that work well together. All I have done in this field is replacing some DVD drives, adding memory and such.

Maybe won’t be too hard?[/QUOTE]

Here’s a guide on how to build a basic computer.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic315746.html

If you do a search on google there’s many guides on how to build a pc. :wink:

If I were building a semi-budget it would be this:

Motherboard: SAPPHIRE PI-AM2RS780G AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX 2000MHz Hyper Transport (4000 MT/s) ($80)
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz ($235)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm ($25)
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ($60)
Case: Antec Sonata III 500 ATX Mid Tower 500W Power Supply ($130)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB ($100)
CD/DVD Drive: Pioneer DVR-215DBK($30)

The price comes to $660 and I would over clock the CPU since it has an unlocked multiplier. The RAM runs at 1066 mhz which is supported by the motherboard (MB can also run at 4000MT/s per the CPU specs) and should deliver good performance for the price. Also, the Antec case I referenced has an excellent 500 watt high efficiency (Earthwatts) power supply. All the component prices referenced came from Newegg.