Looking for some advice regarding External Cd burner

Hi folks,

I would like to know which external Cd burner I should consider If I need the External burner to be Win 98, Win2000 and WinXp compatable. Also it needs to be using USB and Parallel port connection. Of course, reliablity is very important too. With Burnproof technology will be nice. Writing speed prefer to be at least 8X. Needs this burner to backup crashed windows etc.

Any idea ??[ul]
[/ul]

LPT (parallell port) writers usually suck. The speed is not that fast. Only Freecom makes reliable LPT burners as far as i know.

For USB i’d recommend an USB 2.0 connection. The speed of USB 2 is far higher than USB 1.

Usually you can get about any cdwriter in an USB <-> IDE bay.

Well i think you are going to be out of luck. I have never seen a USB burner that burns at more than X4 and i would forget about the parallel port burner. HP used to make a fairly steady external usb burner (8200e 4x4x6x no burn proof i think, i dont know if they still do) which worked alright - you might be able to pick one up on e-bay.

On the other hand if you ahve USB2.0, or firewire i would recomend a Yamaha one, i have a 16x firewire one and its a really nice peice of kit, although it dosent like the latest copy protections much. The new Yamaha F1s look nice to but you will have to wait for that and again its only external version are scsi, firewire and USB2.0, or just USB2.0 - A usb2.0 card can be picked up really cheap (dabs.com an asus 4 port one is £20) if you want to add them to you computers which might be an idea, or you could do the same with firewire for about the same

As for compatability; the older burners like the 8200e work fine in every thing i had one and it worked fine in 98, 2k and xp.

As for USB 2.0 based burners usb 2.0 drivers are around for xp/2k, i dont know about 98 though. On the other hand you may want to go for firewire its work exellently on 98/2k/xp/MacOS 8.6 with my yamaha :slight_smile:

The Plextor PX-W4012TU is also a very nice drive… It runs in both the USB 1.1 and 2.0 interface (1.1 of course limits the write/read speeds). Basically you need to ask yourself what you want to do for the drive. If you’re into copying copy-protections (SafeDisc 2?) then you should get a Lite-On. If you need a great drive for audio, has fast write speeds, reads very fast and looks cool you can go for the Plextor PX-W4012TU (which is basically just a Plextor PX-W4012A in an external case). You will find more information on this drive on our website pretty soon… I’d say wait till next week and keep an eye on our mainpage

:wink:

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
… If you need a great drive for audio … go for the Plextor PX-W4012TU …

pfff… If thats what you want its definatly a new Yamaha for you…:bigsmile:

(presume G@M3FR3@K means burning audio especially)

The Iomega CD-RW 40x12x48 FireWire external drive is also a good drive. From what I’ve known, the Iomega drives are Plextors packaged in an Iomega shield (may not be for all models). That means its a high quality product. That also means a much lower price and excellent support from Iomega.

save yourself the cash and get an internal. if you want the external to go between 2 comps then get 2 liteons. Externals are expensive and slow where as a 40x litey is only 70ish, or go slower and get 2 one for each comp

Good point Bloodstar007 about the internal drives, but USB2.0/firewire drives are not slower. The only problem with internal drives is if one or more of the computers are laptops. :slight_smile:

ahhh yes, i forgot about laptops. I wonder if theres a converter/docking device that can make an ide drive into an external drive

Yes there are i think you can get them for about £70 off e-bay or about £120new! - Not cheap

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your reply. The reasons why I need to look for an external Cd burner is because just say for the Payroll / Operation department, all the PC (runing Win98 and Win2k Pro) are not installed with burner but just in case if the users need to burn the data onto a blank Cd, they can use the departmental external CD.

However, since not all the PCs (especially the ones with windows 98) comes with USB 1.1 ports, so that 's why I prefer to have an external burner with both USB and parellel interface.

May Be I should still condider the The Plextor PX-W4012TU.

Any idea to solve my problem ??

Originally posted by gomcse
[B]Hi guys,

Thanks for all your reply. The reasons why I need to look for an external Cd burner is because just say for the Payroll / Operation department, all the PC (runing Win98 and Win2k Pro) are not installed with burner but just in case if the users need to burn the data onto a blank Cd, they can use the departmental external CD.

However, since not all the PCs (especially the ones with windows 98) comes with USB 1.1 ports, so that 's why I prefer to have an external burner with both USB and parellel interface.

May Be I should still condider the The Plextor PX-W4012TU.

Any idea to solve my problem ?? [/B]

If you tend to switch back and forth from usb to lpt on the same writer then i’d suggest a FreeCom writer. You will need to purchase some additional cables , but it should work. Mind you they are not cheap ,they cannot burn copy protected cd’s with it and they are quite slow.

Iomega makes “Panther” model USB 2.0 drives, and I saw some ads in some fairly well-known computer mags for Liteon externals as well… all were advertised as USB 2.0, so if your m’board (s)supports USB 2 or U have USB 2 card(s), you can write fast and portable too…

MicroSolutions Backpack external burners might be just the thing you are looking for http://www.micro-solutions.com/product_info/cdrw/lit-035.html
These two burners offer usb2.0,parallel port and pc card support. If you don’t need the pc card support both drives come in cheaper versions with just usb and parallel support.

Project deemed success!

Started with two Micro-Solutions Backpack models with USB1.1 & PC-Card support:

Older Model # 192100
LG CD-R/RW Drive
Model: CED-8083B
ROM Ver 1.05
4xCDR/4xCDRW/24xCD

Relative Newer/Older Model # 193250
TEAC CD-R/RW Drive
Model: CD-W58E
ROM Ver (Didn’t write it down before pulling)
8xCDR/8xCDRW/32xCD

Removed old drives out of cases. Real easy removal process!

Purchased the following:

[ul]
[li] Part #: 27-106-177 CDRW 40X12X48|LITE ON LTR40125S
[/li]
[li] Qty 2 = $51.99/ea from newegg.com
[/li]
[li] Part #840: MICROSOLUTIONS - BACKPACK USB 2.0 UPG KIT
[/li]
[li] Qty 2 = $21.79/ea from TechSavings.com
[/li][/ul]

LTR-40125S drives were Gateway OEM drives with ZGS4 firmware installed. I backed-up original firmware, then flashed VS08 firmware on both drives with MTKFlash utility and the VS08.bin image with success. Both drives installed & connected back into the BackPack Shells.

Drives are fledged as LTR-48125W with Max recording speeds of 48x via USB 1.1, BUT would not count on this speed as factual performance under USB 1.1. I’ve not a machine with USB 2.0. I’ve ordered a USB 2.0/Firewire Combo SIIG card on the way. I’ll be testing these drives with the upgraded USB 2.0.

Although, I have noticed marked writing enhancement (speed improvement) with USB 1.1 connectivity over what I was experiencing with the older drives installed.

Recommendations:

Don’t put aside your older Micro-Solutions BackPack Drives:

For roughly $80.00, you can have an upgraded BackPack External CD Re-Writer

[ul]
[li] LT CD-R/RW Drive
[/li][li] Model: LTR-48125W
[/li][li] F/W Ver. VS08
[/li][li] 48xCDR/12xCDRW/48xCD
[/li]
[/ul]

Current Micro-Solutions BackPack External CD-Re-Writer:

Model Number: 222010
48xCDR/24xCDRW/48xCD

New Retail Pricing @ BestBuy: $169.99

Just an update…

Last night got into ‘Nero CD Speed’ with the above external burners connected via USB 1.1. Both drives burn at a rate of approximately 6xCDR.

It will be interesting to check when USB 2.0 card comes in.