Looking for reliable external BluRay Reader/Writer

vbimport

I’m using an iMac, so putting a different drive inside is not an easy task for the DIY types nor is it cheap to have someone do it. Decided that a portable drive makes more sense as I also have a MacBook Pro. I don’t know if Firewire400 is better than USB 2.0, but I’ve got noting plugged into my FW400 port on the iMac, and several devices already tapping into a powered USB Belkin hub.

I’m not as concerned about speed of writing as I am with a drive that is reliable and that firmware updates are done when needed. I am also OK with an external power supply. As of yet I’ve never tried to write a BluRay but I’m willing to learn.

Thx!

2 usb2 ports free?

Then try the Samsung S[B]E[/B]-506, its a great drive!

[QUOTE=chef;2628042]2 usb2 ports free?

Then try the Samsung S[B]E[/B]-506, its a great drive![/QUOTE]

Looks like a nice drive, but isn’t everyone always saying if you buy external you should buy one with a real power supply?

I thought so too, but also LG and Sony have released such external slimtype blu ray burners with 2! usb cables to provide the power.

Works really good for me.

You really must try it, some usb ports/boards have weaknesses and usb + power (consumption and providing) is aother sad story sometimes.

[QUOTE=drgrafix;2628063]Looks like a nice drive, but isn’t everyone always saying if you buy external you should buy one with a real power supply?[/QUOTE]Actually by saying that people mean buying a PC-size (heavy, huge) drive as their speed and reading quality is usually better.

Plus, slim drives without own power supply are not specs compliant, so the drive might not work properly. And these Y-cables are no proper solution.

In order to protect my computer hardware, I’d only use such a drive if it were connected to a self-powered USB hub and PSU attached.

Something specs compliant is to be preferred. IIRC, some Sony drives meet the specs.

Michael

There is even the slim internal variant, named SN506. It’s even cheaper and should fit into most Latops too.

I really want an external unit so that I have complete flexibility with both the iMac and the macbook pro. I do have a Belkin powered USB hub that I could use. But you guys are saying these USB slims are not up to spec? Laymans Explanation Please LOL?

Doc

I was actually thinking of buying an external drive myself and was looking at this one: LG BE12LU38

Not really sure how the burn quality is though.

[QUOTE=drgrafix;2629994]I really want an external unit so that I have complete flexibility with both the iMac and the macbook pro. I do have a Belkin powered USB hub that I could use.[/quote]Not the worst idea. Rather fry an inexpensive USB hub than a motherboard :cool:

But you guys are saying these USB slims are not up to spec? Laymans Explanation Please LOL?
Simple that is. According to the specs (you can get them from usb.org), an USB port delivers [B]up to [/B]5V, 500mA when required by the device connected. Now look onto the stickers of an external slim drive. There you will find something like 5V, 1500mA, wich is triple the load allowed by specs.

Michael

[QUOTE=drgrafix;2629994]I really want an external unit so that I have complete flexibility with both the iMac and the macbook pro. I do have a Belkin powered USB hub that I could use. But you guys are saying these USB slims are not up to spec? Laymans Explanation Please LOL?

Doc[/QUOTE]

In addition to what mciahel said above, to the best of my knowledge, Apple and a few manufacturers allow up to 1000 mA (1A) (possibly more) of current draw for high-power devices (such as to charge an iPad, in Apple’s case), but as you can see, this would still not necessarily be enough for a USB-powered optical drive, which are already finicky with power supplies to begin with.

And for Apple’s Mac devices, booting into Windows seems to drop the max current to the 500 mA standard. (Just connecting an iPad to my MBP while in Windows, for example, results in a “Not Charging” status, meaning it’s getting under 1A of juice). The reason I remind you of this: the selection of software in OSX that handles Blu-ray is slightly smaller than the selection for Windows, and from time to time, you could possibly need to boot into Windows for whatever reasons. So getting the powered drive would be better for that.

ALSO, someone correct me if I’m wrong, but USB 2.0 already struggles to support 20x DVD writing (for me, at least). If you aren’t careful, using a USB hub may present bandwidth issues.