Looking for old plextor 12/4/32 internal SCSI CD burner

vbimport

My old internal SCSI plextor 12/4/32 CD burner is dying and I would like to replace it with an identical or similar unit. This model of course dates back to the stone age and I am having a hard time finding something close to it. I know it is a long shot but I wonder if anyone here has an old PC lying around with one of these drives in good working order just collecting dust - if so please let me know via this thread or a PM. I need this for my old pentium II win98 PC.

THANKS!

Try http://www.cuetech.com/

Cue-tech stocks a lot of old plextor stuff. They may not have a 12/4/32, but should have a 1210S which will give you faster RW.

I would be very tempted to go for the slightly newer 1210 drive - it introduced a number of new features including Burnproof and always seemed to perform a little better than the 124. I have both in a Win98 box.

Cheers

James.

I have a 12/4/24 lying here, working perfectly.
Where are you located?

Thanks for the responses.

As far as the advice on the 12/10/32 goes, that is good advice and that is one of the units that I am considering (if I can find one at a reasonable price).

I don’t really care about the read speed or RW speed - I don’t burn RWs and I use a Plextor ultraplex 40max for reading. I’d like to get at least 12x write speed though, which is what I’m used to.

I was thinking foremost just trying to get another internal SCSI 12/4/32 though since I can easily swap out my old one for that, and I know that that model will work as is with software CDRWIN and EAC.

My search seems to be kind of fruitless; the 12/4/32 or 12/10/32 SCSIs I can find are more than I want to spend. I’m thinking I should switch gears and consider IDE (fingers crossed I can get that to work though). My need to have it work with CDRWIN is going to limit me to older drives, which could make it just as hard to find anything as the SCSIs…or maybe I will just abandon this approach and switch gears altogether - if I can figure out how to network my old PC with my new one, I can use the network to pass files to the new PC and burn from there (using the burner in my new PC). More than one way to skin a cat so to speak. I’d rather just keep my old PC working as is though, I’ve kept it running specifically as an audio workstation with an EGOSYSWAVETERMINAL2496 DIO card for mastering live DAT recordings, EAC for copying CDs and CDRWIN for backups in data format.

THANKS!

[To TheEye - I am in the Philadelphia, PA, USA area. I will drop you a PM.]

I used to use CDRWin but, if you have a Plextor drive, Plextools will do most of what CDRWin does - and it is freely downloadable.

Cheers

James.

[QUOTE=jamesp;2000555]I used to use CDRWin but, if you have a Plextor drive, Plextools will do most of what CDRWin does - and it is freely downloadable.

Cheers

James.[/QUOTE]

THANKS!!! I didn’t know that!! I have Plextools installed on that PC but I never got around to playing with it. I’m so familiar with CDRWIN I just kept using that for writing in data format.

That is good to know about Plextools, but it still limits me to finding a plextor drive right?

[QUOTE=slipkid;2000615]That is good to know about Plextools, but it still limits me to finding a plextor drive right?[/QUOTE]

Plextools will work with any standard drive for reading but requires a Plextor drive for writing. If you really need to use your CDRWin cue files then you will need the XL version but LE is fine if you don’t need that.

Cheers

James.

Good news and bad news!

I was able to get a used Plextor 40/12/40A IDE burner (px-4012A) for a cheap price and after some crazy installation problems (long story) was able to get it working in my old win98 PC. Yippee!

The drive works fine with EAC for both DAE & audio burning (I just did a bunch of tests). I still plan on using my SCSI plextor 40max for the DAE/reading, and this drive will replace my 12/4/32 for burning. This is great!!!

However I still have a “gotcha”. This drive, as I expected, does not work with CDRWIN, which is what I use for burning data CDs (I use EAC for audio). I thought that Plextools would do that for me but I can’t figure out how - plus Plextools is giving me a problem.

I downloaded something called “Plextools PLE 313” from Plextor’s website and installed that. After installing/rebooting though, the PC hangs on trying to startup Plextools. It just shows the Plextools splashscreen and gets stuck with an hourglass. I had to kill that process via ctrl-alt-delete.

I found though that I could run it via it’s program icon afterwards (strange). However in the program itself THERE ARE NO OPTIONS FOR BURNING ANYTHING. It is just things like for playing back audio files on CD (??).

I tried uninstalling it via ADD/REMOVE programs but that just hangs as well. To get rid of it I had to uncheck it’s startup within MSCONFIG, restore a previous version of my windoze registry, then delete the program files.

Something to mention/ask - on that PC I already have something called PLEXTOR MANAGER 2000 version 1.07 that came with my 12/4/32 or 40max. That comes up when the PC starts and sits in the tray at the bottom of the screen. I’ve never actually used it for anything, but looking through it now I don’t see any way to use it as a writing tool. I wonder if it could have conflicted with PLEXTOOLS PLE313 and made that hang on startup??

Regardless I still need some kind of data CD burning program. Preferably freeware or shareware. And it needs to run under Win98SE, on a pentium II, and support a px-4012A. Any suggestions? I will try searching through some threads up here but I doubt I’ll find anything since this type of request should be moot today in the WinXP/Vista universe with DVD burners etc.

THANKS!

Hey, I’m gonna answer my own question - the solution for me was IMGBURN!

I already use it on my XP machine for DVDs/CDs but I didn’t know it would work on win98 until I did some more research. Even if it did work though I wasn’t too keen on using it on my win98 PC though because the stuff I need to backup to CDR are SHN/FLAC files of CD size and to have to do the IMGBURN intermediate step of having to create ISO files of each of those b4 being able to burn to CDR was going to be a big pain in the butt, especially since my disk space is so limited on my win98 PC…but…IMGBURN has a new version out & you don’t have to build ISOs prior to burning anymore!!! You can go direct to CDR!!! I’m guessing most of you already knew that but I didn’t!

Anyways to make a long story short I installed new IMGBURN & it works (although for some crazy reason it would not at first…made no sense…but it works now…)…sweet! Hope this helps anybody else in a similar situation, and thanks for the previous advice.

[QUOTE=slipkid;2006549]I downloaded something called “Plextools PLE 313” from Plextor’s website and installed that. After installing/rebooting though, the PC hangs on trying to startup Plextools. It just shows the Plextools splashscreen and gets stuck with an hourglass. I had to kill that process via ctrl-alt-delete.

[…]

Something to mention/ask - on that PC I already have something called PLEXTOR MANAGER 2000 version 1.07 that came with my 12/4/32 or 40max. That comes up when the PC starts and sits in the tray at the bottom of the screen. I’ve never actually used it for anything, but looking through it now I don’t see any way to use it as a writing tool. I wonder if it could have conflicted with PLEXTOOLS PLE313 and made that hang on startup??
[/QUOTE]

It could be possible that there is a conflict between Plextor Manager 2000 and PTP LE. Plextor Manager 2000 is the “US version” of Plextools. A lot years ago Plextor North America and Plextor europe ships two different software this their drives. If I remember correctly PX Manager 2000 installs a driver that make it possible copying the wav files of the audio CD direct by drag and drop.

Later the Plextor Manager 2000 was replaced by Plextools Professional. I guess Plextools Professional should also work with Win98. I’m not sure if PTP LE would work with Win98. But I think PTP 2.36 would do.

The important thing is there are three different softwares made by Plextor:

• Plextor Manager 2000 (I used this software ,but it is too long ago, It was unter Win9x and WinNT I guess)
  • Plextools Professional (Versionnumer ~2.x, latest 2.36)
  • Plextools Professional LE and XL (Versionnumer ~3.x, lastest curretnly 3.14 for LE, 3.13 for XL)

If you have time I’d uninstall Plextor Manager 2000 and try Plextools Professional 2.36.

Plextools also takes quite a while to start up - the splash screen could be there for a minute or so before the program shrinks down to the task bar at the bottom. If it appears to have lost your drives then go to the file menu and choose ‘rescan devices’.

I would also try the new drive for audio extraction - the 4012 that I tried has been the only drive to get to the end of my ‘obstacle course’ test disc.

Cheers

James.

Innaresting info guys thanks!

Want to comment on this stuff James wrote and ask something else…

[QUOTE=jamesp;2007389]Plextools also takes quite a while to start up - the splash screen could be there for a minute or so before the program shrinks down to the task bar at the bottom. If it appears to have lost your drives then go to the file menu and choose ‘rescan devices’.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Maybe I will try futzing with it some more (& uninstalling manager2000). It really seemed to just lockup forever on startup though. I think I let it sit at least 5 minutes once. I could run it if I then ctrl-alt-del and shutdown the part that was hung. I couldn’t find anything in it that let me burn though.

[QUOTE=jamesp;2007389]
I would also try the new drive for audio extraction - the 4012 that I tried has been the only drive to get to the end of my ‘obstacle course’ test disc.
[/QUOTE]

I did test the 4012 out for extraction and it seemed to work fine. With secure mode in EAC I was getting about 8-9x speed. My Ultraplex 40 max gets about 12-13x speed the same way. Afaik I should be able to get around 16x with that but never have been able to (this is a pentium II 266mHZ PC btw). Anyways…

Yesterday I did a bunch of test audio read/writes with the 4012 drive and everything seemed to be working well. I burned a bunch of CD audio discs at different speeds, checked them with EAC via my Ultraplex and things looked good. I also put them in my winXP machine and checked them in there with nerocdspeed in the scandisc tab - again they looked good.

I also was able to use IMGBURN fine to backup 3 large SHN format CD image files. So today I tried to do some data backup stuff that I needed to get done. And had some problems, and discovered some perplexing things…

Using Norton ghost (makes various types of hard drive images/backups) it constantly bombed out if I tried to write direct to the burner about 1/2 through each backup. My old 12/4/32 never had ANY problems doing this. Researching this further I’ve learned that Norton ghost is notorious for having problems like this trying to write to CDR and it is not recommended to even bother trying. I did check further and the 4012 is supposedly compatible with Ghost though, although it was iin their list with an older firmware revision than what I am running. So I figured the problems I was having burning with ghost must be more due to ghost than something wrong with the drive, and switched gears and told ghost to write the image file to a hard drive parition instead. Then cut the image files down to CD size and tried burning them with IMGBURN and…goddam, I kept getting errors and coasters. Happened like 5 times out 6 tries. I then tried slowing IMGBURN down to 12x (it was set to MAX and i noticed it was burning at around 20x) and that seemed to work. By why should that be a problem??? I was burning like 40x with audio with no problems???

And then I got REALLY confused. Which leads me to ask something else - does nerocdspeed work correctly with plextor ultraplex 40 max drives??? Or have problems under win98, or SOMETHING??? Because get this, I decided to double check the data discs that I just burned ok using my ultraplex with cdspeed to read them and the scandisc data showed 99.9% “damaged”!!! Then I went back and tried checking the audio discs which had showed up FINE yesterday when checked in EAC on both my CDs and in CDSPEED on my xp machine and they showed up as like 99% “damaged” according to CDSPEED in my ultraplex. THis really had me scratching my head. So i checked those same discs in my other PC with CDSPEED same way & guess what? It thinks they are fine. Then checked them again in my old PC but using the 4012 drive instead of the ultraplex and they show up fine!! So I think that those discs are ok but now I’ve discovered wierd problems with CDSPEED and my ultraplex (using firmware 1.4 - which i might try updating to 1.5).

THen futzing more with CDSPEED (which i had only just installed on the old PC) I noticed that it was impossible to get quite a bit of Cdspeed to even work. Although I could run the “scandisc” tab, the “disc quality tab” won’t let me “start it”. And trying to do some things like “benchmark” died with wierd error messages. Does CDSPEED v4.7.5.0 work ok in win98? And are there any known issues with it and plextor ultraplexes?

I know I am rambling off the rails here but my head is spinning from the past couple hours trying to figure out what is what…

Just a quick couple other thoughts after taking a step back (& getting some sleep):

• As far as burns failing to complete/making coasters go, I forgot to mention that my old PC used to get afflicted with this sporadically. I could not figure out exactly WHY or how to “fix” that problem, other than it was something to do with using SCSI hard drives/CD drives. At least that is all that I was able to learn from researching the issues over the past 10 years. I would get “loss of streaming” errors in EAC or a nondescriptive failure in CDRWIN and the result was a coaster. Usually this would happen more often if the hard drive partition I was burning from was close to full. But quite often with no rhyme or reason, even with a clean partition or defragged it would happen. Many times I would give up after repeated errors, simply turn off the PC, start again the following day, and all would be fine. Never made any sense.

So I am wondering if trying to write out the Norton ghost image files now with the new burner and IMGBURN is that same old problem. Sigh. I was actually hoping that maybe that problem would only happen with burners on the SCSI bus but maybe it is the hard drive part of the equation (all my drives in that PC are SCSI).

• I bought a couple other IDE drives off ebay the past couple days, intending to put one in my newer PC running XP to get better DAE than the Liteon DVD burner I have in there already (which gets a paltry 2-3x extraction speed in secure mode with EAC), and am now thinking of experimenting with one of those in the old PC too instead of the 4012. Wish me luck!