Looking for New DVD Writer under $50. Any suggestions?

vbimport

My current DVD writer has given me lots of problems so I’m looking for a new one. Nothing fancy. I think I’d like to have an External one. Just plug it in when I need it. And, not need to perform major surgery on my PC.

Please suggest websites and even brand specific External DVD writers for under $50. Thank you.

What part of the world are you in.

USA - Tennessee
I’m looking for a simple, single layer, single sided, 4.7gig DVD burner to backup my DVD collection. External I guess…

Try newegg.com.

[QUOTE=BurnBabyBurn!;2474437]USA - Tennessee
I’m looking for a simple, single layer, single sided, 4.7gig DVD burner to backup my DVD collection. External I guess…[/QUOTE]

Newegg has the Lite-on eHAU-424-08 at $49.99 currently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106338 .
One of the better choices for ripping, burning, quality scanning and labeling available at the moment.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2474496]Newegg has the Lite-on eHAU-424-08 at $49.99 currently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106338 .
One of the better choices for ripping, burning, quality scanning and labeling available at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I agree 100%. There aren’t that many good choices for external burners, so when you find one, buy it.

I looked at the Lite-on eHAU-424-08 and I have a couple of general questions:

1. This Lite-on model supports XP, & Vista, will it also work with the new OS that just came out?
    One reason I am considering an “external writer” is that I want it to work with a new computer in the future.
  2. From the picture, it has a Nero 8 software disc?? I have been using 1ClickDvD or ImgBurn. Can I continue to
    use my software???
  3. Another reason for the “external writer” is that I have never even opened my desktop PC, so I don’t know how to
    install an internal writer. Would a “novice” be capable of installing an internal writer?

1. Yes, it will work. DVD burners are standard devices supported by ALL operating systems.

2. Yes, you can continue using your existing software.

3. Stick with the external for now. Installing a DVD burner is relatively easy, but not for the novice.

Thank you for your suggestions. The suggested Lite-on does not ship for free. With shipping & tax it is about $64. I don’t need light-scribe as I already have about 60 TYG02 DVD-R discs left to use.

I would like some comments on this Samsung burner (ships free.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151194

[QUOTE=BurnBabyBurn!;2474652]Thank you for your suggestions. The suggested Lite-on does not ship for free. With shipping & tax it is about $64. I don’t need light-scribe as I already have about 60 TYG02 DVD-R discs left to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151194[/QUOTE]

Most would prefer the Lite-On, but the Samsung is good enough.

[QUOTE=BurnBabyBurn!;2474652]Thank you for your suggestions. The suggested Lite-on does not ship for free. With shipping & tax it is about $64. I don’t need light-scribe as I already have about 60 TYG02 DVD-R discs left to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151194[/QUOTE]
The SE-S224Q received by another member proved to be an SH-S223F. You might look through the Samsung forum and elsewhere for info on that drive to help you make up your mind. Mine are good rippers with scratch-free discs, but my iHAS324 is faster with less-than-perfect discs. Mine have not proven to be comparable to a lite-on as quality scanners. As negritude said, it may well be good enough if you receive a good one and quality scanning is not a priority.

Quote:

Mine are good rippers with scratch-free discs, but my iHAS324 is faster with less-than-perfect discs. Mine have not proven to be comparable to a lite-on as quality scanners. As negritude said, it may well be good enough if you receive a good one and quality scanning is not a priority.

Please help me understand:
Good rippers???..with scratch-free discs???
and difference between Rippers and Scanning???:eek:

[QUOTE=BurnBabyBurn!;2474773]Quote:

Please help me understand:
Good rippers???..with scratch-free discs???
and difference between Rippers and Scanning???:eek:[/QUOTE]
Ripping is the process of reading the contents of a disc from your drive and transferring them to your hard drive, the first half of copying a disc. Some drives are better at reading(ripping) poorly made or scratched discs than others. Scanning is using a program like CdSpeed to test the quality of your burned discs, very useful for determining how fast you can burn a particular type/brand of disc safely.

Thanks for the lesson.
Then if I understood your earlier post correctly, your experience with the Samsung SE-S224Q has been positive as far as ripping goes. But, the Lite-on is the better scanner…?
Scanning is much less important to me since [B]Ripping should be more important in the quality of the final product.[/B]

That said, the Samsung SE-S224Q may be equally as good as the Lite-on eHAU424-08 as far as Ripping goes???

Both available at newegg.com (It’s really between those two for me.) Suggestions???

[QUOTE=BurnBabyBurn!;2474791]That said, the Samsung SE-S224Q may be equally as good as the Lite-on eHAU424-08 as far as Ripping goes???

Both available at newegg.com (It’s really between those two for me.) Suggestions???[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Samsung would be equally good at ripping (reading information off a disc really quickly, with accuracy, even when the disc isn’t in perfect condition).

Suggestions? We already gave you our suggestion. BUY THE LITE-ON! It’s the better all-around drive. You chose to make another decision based on price. It’s in your hands now.