Looking for lcd tv with closed captioning lower price range

vbimport

Does anyone have any recs for an lcd tv in the $300 range w/ closed captioning?
Per googling the closed caption option seems uncommon. I have found a few w/ closed caption on mute, but I’d like it w/ sound. Also the ones I found had less connections options - like the pc capable VGA D-Sub input.

According to a saleslady at Best Buy, all the LCDs are capable of closed captioning. It’s the closed captioning on mute that’s an optional feature. Is that correct?

Hey AnnieMS.

Yes, most of the LCD’s will support CC.

But I think the answer you seek may be a little more complex. But this will depend on your source medium and how you interact with it.

Example:

[B]Incompatibility issues with HDTV[/B]

Many viewers find that when they switch to an HDTV they are unable to view closed caption (CC) information, even though the broadcaster is sending it and the TV is able to display it. Originally, CC information was included in the picture (“line 21”), but there is no equivalent capability in the HDTV 720p/1080i interconnects between the display and a “source”. A “source”, in this case, can be a DVD player or an HD tuner (a cable box is an HD tuner). When CC information is encoded in the MPEG-2 data stream, only the device that decodes the MPEG-2 data (a source) has access to the closed caption information; there is no standard for transmitting the CC information to an HD display separately. Thus, if there is CC information, the source device needs to overlay the CC information on the picture prior to transmitting to the display over the interconnect. Many source devices do not have the ability to overlay CC information, or controlling the CC overlay is extremely complicated. For example, the Motorola DCT-5xxx and -6xxx cable set-top boxes have the ability to decode CC information located on the mpg stream and overlay it on the picture, but turning CC on and off requires turning off the unit and going into a special setup menu (it is not on the standard configuration menu and it cannot be controlled using the remote). Historically, DVD players and cable box tuners did not need to do this overlaying, they simply passed this information on to the TV, and they are not mandated to perform this overlaying. Many modern HDTVs can be directly connected to cables, but then they often cannot receive scrambled channels that the user is paying for. Thus, the lack of a standard way of sending CC information between components, along with the lack of a mandate to add this information to a picture, results in CC being unavailable to many hard-of-hearing and deaf users. “HDMI not allowing Closed Captioning?”

Source Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

:cool::cool:

Thanks platinumsword,

Yea, that’s confusing. My old [2003] analog tv has been in storage for 2 years and I just had basic cable before that w/ no cable box, so I have no experience w/ any sources other than my old vhs and dvd players.
So, do I need a dvd player that does offer closed captioning or is there no such animal? I’m not going to have a cable box - or cable. Or an antenna. I’m not really going for hdtv - I just want to play my dvds and I need a lighter tv. And I expect that after being in unconditioned storage my old tv is going to complain about working.

As far as I know any T.V. built in the U.S. after 1993 and is 20" or larger have built in CC decoders. In theory as long as you use the analog outputs of the DVD player to the T.V. and the DvD supports CC then you should have no issues. The CC code should be transported via the mpeg2 stream through the analog outputs to the T.V. and then decoded.

Other options are to use subtitles, but not at the same time as CC. and SDH when supported. The only significant difference for the user between SDH Subtitles and Closed Captions is their appearance. SDH Subtitles usually are displayed with the same proportional font used for the translation subtitles. Closed Captions are displayed as white text on a black band which tend to block a portion of the view. Closed captioning is falling out of favor as many users are having no difficulty reading SDH subtitles, which are text with contrast outline.

Using the latter options should allow you to use other options for connecting to the DvD player.

To really make sure, have the place where you are purchasing the T.V. to hook up a DVD player via it’s analog outputs and play a dvd that supports CC and make sure that the T.V. decodes the CC that is supported on the DVD.

:cool::cool: