Looking for Info on Old Program?

vbimport

Looking for info from anybody that knows about an old program called Instant CD/DVD. I think the program originated from Germany. I had never opened the case that the disc is in, thinking it was just a blank CD and as my wife has a ton of them it was put aside. While cleaning up today, looked at it a bit closer and got curious.

Google search says the company (VOB Computersysteme GmbH, as written on the back of the case) was acquired by Pinnacle, and future versions were released as Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD. (Still using Google) After a couple of versions it changed to Pinnacle Instant DVD, and somewhere along the way Pinnacle changed hands to Corel. If anything in Pinnacle or Corel’s stable supports media creation, it is probably a descendant of the software.

Not sure how much it caught on, but I saw mention of it being bundled with one of those TDK-rebadged DVD writers, so it must have been somewhat popular – maybe not quite the same level as Veritas/Sonic/Roxio, Ahead/Nero, or BHA/SOURCENEXT (B’s Recorder Gold) products, but it was probably competitive.

Never even heard of it myself.

I went to the site on the back of the case, www.vob.de last night, but it did not have a lot of info. There might be somebody pop up that has used it, thanks Albert.

It was a great program in the past…while other burning programs were struggling with the Adaptec Aspi layer to get their burning engine goin’,VOB developed their own,which was much more stable .
They were also amongst the 1st burning suites to include a Dvd shrinking copy module which could remove the dvdcss protection! :bow:
Their burning module was also capable to burn in REAL RAW DAO 96 modus,which means that every subchannel data was included,so perfect for copyprotected cd’s…
And you could update the supported drive list by adding a .regfile to the registry…it was a work of art in the past! :iagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2770483]It was a great program in the past…while other burning programs were struggling with the Adaptec Aspi layer to get their burning engine goin’,VOB developed their own,which was much more stable .
They were also amongst the 1st burning suites to include a Dvd shrinking copy module which could remove the dvdcss protection! :bow:
Their burning module was also capable to burn in REAL RAW DAO 96 modus,which means that every subchannel data was included,so perfect for copyprotected cd’s…
And you could update the supported drive list by adding a .regfile to the registry…it was a work of art in the past! :iagree:[/QUOTE]

hmm, come to think of it, everything was an art back in the day when none knew :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770498]hmm, come to think of it, everything was an art back in the day when none knew :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Oh so true.

Thank you roadworker, you gave me what I asked for. I had it back in the day and did not know it. I was toying with the idea of trying to run it, but I think you are right, it’s had it’s day.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770498]hmm, come to think of it, everything was an art back in the day when none knew :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Well,@ that time,people in the CDR-Scene really knew…:bigsmile:
Nero and Adaptec/Roxio couldn’t backup protected stuff,WinOnCd ditched that capability after 3.7…so there weren’t much disc burning suites left which could handle all this sh*t…:wink:
Of course you had CloneCd,Padus DiscJuggler CdMate,Fantom Cd (the later Alcohol 120%) and to a certain degree CdrWin to backup your precious discs,but no real multimedia suite,besides VOB Instant CD/DVD…

[QUOTE=beef barley;2770499] but I think you are right, it’s had it’s day.[/QUOTE]

That totally depends on how old your cd/dvd drive is and what OS you’re running…:wink:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2770501]That totally depends on how old your cd/dvd drive is and what OS you’re running…;)[/QUOTE]

Only too true :flower:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2770501]That totally depends on how old your cd/dvd drive is and what OS you’re running…;)[/QUOTE]

Well since you asked, my oldest drive is a Benq 1620 and we have an older Toshiba laptop that has Vista on it that the plan is to partition the drive and add XP as a dual boot. I think that would be close?

Perhaps your version will work on XP…but 1st I would search the web for the latest 8.3 version release from Pinnacle to try if that 1 would accept my original VOB serial…

Good thinking. :iagree::clap:

Speaking about back in the day to now, not encouraging.

I went through the original manual, this program is loaded, at least the 2001 version that I have. I forgot to add this review was 2003, I’m still digging.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2770534]Speaking about back in the day to now, not encouraging.

I went through the original manual, this program is loaded, at least the 2001 version that I have. I forgot to add this review was 2003, I’m still digging.[/QUOTE]

Well,a review can point you in the right direction if the reviewer knows what he’s talking about,but in the end,it’s all up to the user to give a certain value to the program… :bigsmile:
As for loaded…it’s a multimedia SUITE,so …:wink:
For myself speaking,I preferred the old VOB version,the 1 you have…

I agree about the old version, sure wish the original folks had stayed in business.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2770500]Well,@ that time,people in the CDR-Scene really knew…:bigsmile:
Nero and Adaptec/Roxio couldn’t backup protected stuff,WinOnCd ditched that capability after 3.7…so there weren’t much disc burning suites left which could handle all this sh*t…:wink:
Of course you had CloneCd,Padus DiscJuggler CdMate,Fantom Cd (the later Alcohol 120%) and to a certain degree CdrWin to backup your precious discs,but no real multimedia suite,besides VOB Instant CD/DVD…[/QUOTE]
I remember Padus Discjuggler - still got a trial copy of the final version carefully archived somewhere. They kept going until at least 2010 (IIRC). It had an vast range of options and could share writers across a network.

Paired with a Plextor Premium it could copy just about anything. :bow:
No trickery was involved, it was just that neither the hardware nor software had been deliberately broken. That’s simply what all the CD copy protections were.

Also remember Cequadrat WinOnCD. Back in the late 1990s (before Nero came to dominate) it was the software of choice. WinOnCD was the software Plextor (and most of the other decent manufacturers) chose to supply with their writers - this was back in the days when you got the full version of useful software bundled with drives. But after v3.7 it virtually disappeared from the mainstream.

Later WinOnCD was bought by Roxio (from v6 onwards?) and instantly disappeared, except in its home country of Germany. But it had lost its uniqueness. In 2005 Roxio gave away free download copies for a limited time (v6 PE). It was interesting. I used it for a while and quite liked it. The UI wasn’t exactly pretty and it felt a bit like Easy CD, but with some useful additional features. But (IIRC) from version 7 onwards it became simply a re-branded edition of Easy CD-DVD.

I like the way this thread has turned out so far, some very interesting information.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2770474]I went to the site on the back of the case, www.vob.de last night, but it did not have a lot of info. There might be somebody pop up that has used it, thanks Albert.[/QUOTE]

Try using the Wayback Machine and you might have more success.

I find it a brilliant resource for browsing webpages that are no longer available.

If you select a snapshot from a time when the webpage was still fully up and running you should be able to browse the content.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Ibex;2770548]I remember Padus Discjuggler - still got a trial copy of the final version carefully archived somewhere. They kept going until at least 2010 (IIRC). It had an vast range of options and could share writers across a network. [/QUOTE]

I still have my registered v 6.00.1400-PRO2 running on Win 8.1 64 bit,but only 2 drives supported @ the same time…:bigsmile:
DJ was/is great for audio and was very popular at the DreamCast games scene…:iagree:
When I tried it on my laptop in late 2014,I was surprised that the new dvdwriter was instantly recognized by a burning program which had it’s latest update in 2007…:clap::clap:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2770548]Also remember Cequadrat WinOnCD. Back in the late 1990s (before Nero came to dominate) it was the software of choice. WinOnCD was the software Plextor (and most of the other decent manufacturers) chose to supply with their writers - this was back in the days when you got the full version of useful software bundled with drives. But after v3.7 it virtually disappeared from the mainstream.[/QUOTE]

In the late nineties WinOnCd 3.7 was popular to backup PlayStation games,WinOnCD 3.8 crippled that option,so it was nothing special anymore ,besides for audio,which it was quite good for @ that time…

[QUOTE=Ibex;2770548]Later WinOnCD was bought by Roxio (from v6 onwards?) and instantly disappeared, except in its home country of Germany. But it had lost its uniqueness. In 2005 Roxio gave away free download copies for a limited time (v6 PE). It was interesting. I used it for a while and quite liked it. The UI wasn’t exactly pretty and it felt a bit like Easy CD, but with some useful additional[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly,Roxio started with version 5.0 after the takeover from CeQuadrat,AFAIK,they skipped V 4.0,and although I got the free v6 PE too in 2005,my real interest was lost after v3.7 - 3.8…:wink:

A tip for anyone wishing to try out old burning software un a virtual machine: [I]use a drive in a USB enclosure.[/I] :iagree:

The emulated optical drives are read only. VirtualBox & VMWare (IIRC) do have a passthrough option to a physical optical drive, but it is still ‘experimental’ and by their own admission will block certain commands (VirtualBox mention firmware update commands as an example). So any optical disc writing, scanning etc. is likely to be problematic.

USB passthrough support on the other hand is superb. Both are able to (logically) disconnect any USB device from the host and attach it to the guest OS, via their own virtual USB adapter installed on the host. The VM software doesn’t attempt to understand the USB device or need to have the correct driver installed on the host OS, it just routes the USB bus traffic. So in principle (subject to any limitations of the USB bridge chip in the enclosure) everything should work - writing, scanning, firmware etc.