Looking for good quality white shiny DVD-Rs

I made the critical mistake of using brandless (or seemingly brandless) DVD-Rs, and now I find that almost two years, later, some of them are going bad on me. I’d love to replace these, but it’s rather hard to find DVDs that look like these. I mean, there are the inkjet printable ones, but I’m not interested in those. I want ones with a blank white plastic surface (like most DVDs have).

The only thing I have managed to find so far are Princo, but from what I’ve read here, they sound rather bad. So I was wondering if anyone knew where to get DVDs of this particular type that are of a good brand, affordable, and long-lasting.

But I’m starting to wonder… by “degrade” I mean that certain DVDs I own cause my drive to make a terrible grinding noise when I put them in. I’m guessing this is the fault of the DVDs and not the drive since other DVDs work just fine in it. But I’m not an expert, so I’m not really sure.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I don’t really understand what you mean by a “blank white plastic surface” - most commercial Video DVDs don’t have a white surface (label) but rather a label in many colors.

The other surface of the disc is the data surface, and that isn’t white on any DVDs.

I suggest you explain more clearly what it is that you seek.

I mean, on the side that you label the DVD, not the side on which the data is written. I’m looking for a DVD-R that has a white and shiny surface on the labeling side.

Here’s an example: http://www.mediaoutfit.com/-strse-350/Princo-4x-White-Shiny/Detail.bok

What I mean, is that, unlike inkjet printable DVD-Rs which have a labeling surface a lot like that of paper, I am looking for a DVD-R with a labeling surface that is white and also shiny.

And the DVDs I’m looking for are for writing purposes, i.e. data backup.

Sony AccuCORE 16x DVD-R and DVD+R media have a white top surface that isn’t inkjet printable and it is kinda shiny. There’s a Sony logo and some text showing the disc type on the top surface and some other information, but there’s plenty of space to write something with a marker pen if that’s what you want.

The media burns pretty well (for me), but I haven’ had it for very long so I cannot say anything about how long lasting it is.

Ozma, if you are in the U.S. (which your avatar indicates), you could try something Verbatim, available at many Brick and Mortar stores (B&M, abbrev.), or if you want to go for top-quality, try the Taiyo Yuden at Rima.com. Those have silver shiny tops, and those are proven to be the some of the best around. :wink:

Yeah, I checked online and found that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden both have the white printable kind. I mean, they’re not the white shiny type that I was looking for (I’m pretty sure that the white shiny ones are not printable), but seeing as how the shiny kind are so hard to find, I think I’ll just settle for trying out Taiyo Yuden’s white printable DVD-Rs.

@Ozma, have you already seen the “matt silver” (non-printable) surface of the Verbatim media and decided it’s not what you want?

I personally really like that surface and Verbatim media is some of the best you can get.

Well, the reason I want a white DVD-R is because I don’t like it when the brand name shows up on the disc.