Looking for good DVD & BluRay player software

vbimport

Hello,

I tried PowerDVD and ended up removing it. It is slow bloatware, at least on my home PC and the laptop. Is there any other good player for DVD & BluRay?

Thanks

Choices are limited if you are playing blu ray disks or blu ray video saved on the hard drive. PowerDVD is probably the most used since it is often times bundled with blu ray drives. I prefer Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater. I have the 3rd version which works fine, but they’ve recently come out with TMT 5 which has a new interface and is getting pretty good reviews. http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT5P&TRACKING_CODE=/WWW/NULL/NULL/WEB/HOME/TMT5P/LEARNMORE/NULL/SET_0/

The biggest problem for most people and the Arcsoft software is their price. They do offer a free trial to test the program.

Another program for blu ray playback is WinDVD Pro 2010. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1189528458632#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0
Again there is a free trial. I have never tried this particular player, so can’t comment on it.

There are one or two more, but these are the most popular.

I use WINDVD 2010 pro but I don’t currently have a BD burner to play BD movies right now but windvd for me doesn’t bloat ware my system. Only thing you will haveo make sure is that your GPU can output BD movie to your LCD otherwise if it isn’t the current GPU to match BD playback requirements it might not work. Since I don’t know what your system specs are it is hard to determine what is happening with your system. So a Specs and hardware configuration would help to diagnosis the problem???

I checked out both Arcsoft and Windvd and will probably go with Windvd since it’s a little cheaper it seems. It will be worth the money. My Sony BDPS360 BluRay player has become faulty and is skipping on every BD disk, so I wanted to use my PC as a temporary BD player. The PC can play .m2ts BD movie files with no problem on Media Player Classic.

Thank You

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 2.6Ghz CPU
DDR3 2GB Ram. 640GB 7200RPM Sata.

For free, I use Media Player Classic HC which works well for me, better than PowerDVD. Also, Splashlite seems pretty good too. A lot of people tout Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater as the best, but I’m way to cheap to pay $60+ dollars for a player.

I did not know Media Player classic autoplays BD DVD’s! I installed “MPC-HomeCinema.1.4.2499.0.x86.exe” a month back, and at the same time deinstalled PowerDVD. When I insert a BD disk now, just an explorer window pops up with file contents of the disk. Is there a way to restore Autoplay to MPC-HomeCinema?

Thanks

There are some problems playing BD disks with MPCHC. For one, you don’t get the menus. It never worked well for advancing or going back by chapters either. When I try to advance to the next chapter, it simply pauses.

But it will play the main movie straight through if you don’t interrupt it. Usually. If it doesn’t start skipping, or having trouble with split m2ts files (seamless branching structure).

Haven’t heard of Splashlite, so I’ll have to check that one out Ricoman. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=coolecho;2567020]I did not know Media Player classic autoplays BD DVD’s! I installed “MPC-HomeCinema.1.4.2499.0.x86.exe” a month back, and at the same time deinstalled PowerDVD. When I insert a BD disk now, just an explorer window pops up with file contents of the disk. Is there a way to restore Autoplay to MPC-HomeCinema?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

View > Options > Player > Formats > Autoplay in BOTTOM LEFT CORNER

If you have problems, something else might be set at the default player. You’ll have to change that.

Kerry56: right-click> Navigate > various menus are here
also, I can step forward and backward.

I have to hit Modify to get the Autoplay options “ungreyed,” or available for use. Not that I would ever use Autoplay.

Right click -->Navigate gives me [B]no[/B] menu options. I do get language, subtitle options and video angles, but nothing else. Previous and Next do not work. Neither does the Step command button on the bottom of the screen.

This is playing from a full backup to an ISO mounted in VirtualClone Drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2567031]I have to hit Modify to get the Autoplay options “ungreyed,” or available for use. Not that I would ever use Autoplay.

Right click -->Navigate gives me [B]no[/B] menu options. I do get language, subtitle options and video angles, but nothing else. Previous and Next do not work. Neither does the Step command button on the bottom of the screen.

This is playing from a full backup to an ISO mounted in VirtualClone Drive.[/QUOTE]

I get all features and menus from a BD disc, but not from the HD.

^ Very odd that it has this limitation. Which makes it basically useless for my purposes. But I already own TMT 3, which plays from the mounted ISO flawlessly, and will even play blu ray video in file format from the hd, which other players cannot do anymore (to my knowledge). PowerDVD caved to the studios and removed that capability.

I turned on Autoplay “View > Options > Player > Formats > Autoplay” in MPCHC, and it still just pops up a Explorer windows of the disk contents. Is there a way to manually make it play the disk?

Thanks

[QUOTE=coolecho;2567206]I turned on Autoplay “View > Options > Player > Formats > Autoplay” in MPCHC, and it still just pops up a Explorer windows of the disk contents. Is there a way to manually make it play the disk?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

For the disc, just go to file > Open DVD

For file on HD fot to file > then browse to folder, and highlight [U]all[/U] of the files in the folder and click OK

Excellent. Works Great!. Thanks.
I will be checking out WinDVD as well.