Looking for firmware for Yamaha CRW-F1

Hello, I’m looking for firmware for this drive if you know if they made anymore than what came with it and I also have the external version as well.

As far as I know Yamaha stopped making cd writers so they don’t make any new firmware for this drive. I had this too but then seeing as DVD writers are cheap as hell nowadays I just replaced it :slight_smile:

See here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/computer/firmware/fw-10.html

Welll, many DVD writers are not very good with CD-R, so replacing an excellent drive like the F1 wasn’t really a good idea :wink:

Michael

Oh I see but it’s a good drive, isn’t it? I mean it’s got Advanced AudioMASTER which other drives haven’t got and the sound sounds remarkably crisp compared to other drives in my opinion. What I don’t get is why it manages to make the sound so pure that it sounds as though there’s no jitter whatsoever compared to other drives it’s as if the sound polution’s been completely eliminated. Firmware’s supposed to improve the burning quality so I’ve heard but how’s it supposed to improve the sound?:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=196647 Thanks for the firmware Michael.

Hi,

if I had a drive like this F1, I wouldn’t replace it by a DVD writer.

Michael

It is also one of very few drives which can write at 1x as well no matter what software you’re using, but it’s not very good to burn .mp3 music with it because in my opinion .mp3 needs some kind of background jitter in order to hide it’s flaws otherwise the Yamaha exposes it and it sounds way too sharp. These drives are hard to come by now and I was lucky to get both an internal as well as external one on eBay. The music certainly sounds high-definition with uncompressed audio CD’s and very clear.

I still have it just not connected. I don’t really burn many CDs these days, the only CDs i burned in the past two months or so are a couple of linux distributions, that’s about it.

If burning ordinary CDs was one of the common tasks I would keep the drive connected.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1603812]Welll, many DVD writers are not very good with CD-R, so replacing an excellent drive like the F1 wasn’t really a good idea :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

In what way aren’t many DVD writers good with CD-Rs?

[QUOTE=Mark Thompson;1933756]In what way aren’t many DVD writers good with CD-Rs?[/QUOTE]

CD is just there for downwards compatiblity, the main purpose of releasing firmware updates is to support newer DVD media.